Padauk and GF

Will cutting padauk mess up my GF?

Nope.

OK maybe “nope” wasn’t very helpful, but it did answer your question. :slight_smile:

Searching for settings will probably yield some results.

Search results for 'padauk settings' - Glowforge Owners Forum

Ideally you would do a material test.

2 Likes

Here’s a wenge/padauk thing I made:

From this post:

15 Likes

Your stuff is soooooooooo cool. I totally steal ideas from you. Just sayin…

2 Likes

Stealing is fun, but that’s the entire reason I post stuff! Make stuff and post it, I love to see what other people do.

3 Likes

I did read a bunch of posts about it, but so many of them warned about all the stuff the sawdust could do, I was worried. :grin:

Well there are people with sensitivities to different woods, for sure. If you ever feel allergic symptoms when sanding any species of wood, take it seriously.

Wear a respirator mask and have good ventilation, that’s just good advice for any sanding. You only get one set of lungs!

2 Likes

There are three species I have found that you could cut a half inch thick without turning it into charcoal. Maple, Walnut, and Paduk fit that description. A few others are close, more are not close.

1 Like

IIRC, I believe @Jules claims it cuts dirtier than other woods and you may have to clean your fan a little more often, but it also doesn’t seem to stop her using it.

3 Likes

Yep! It will turn everything pink and throws a lot of resin. But it’s a fun wood to work with. (Thanks for the assist…it’s tax prep time.)

4 Likes

I think that’s still pretty much my favorite inlay ever. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.