Pentakis Dodecahedron #2

I haven’t done a polyhedral in a while, and have a few partially assembled. Normally, I design and 3D print the internal connectors for my polyhedrals, but have started designing them so you can build them with just a laser. My first one of these was printed over 3 years ago, and still one of my favorites. There are great examples on this forum of other users doing this without a 3D Printer, so to fall down that rabbit hole, here is my first laser-only Pentakis Dodecahedron.

Designed in Fusion 360, surprisingly, this shaped snapped together without any glue!

This is a prototype, and I’ll eventually add a decorative layer to hide the connector holes. Files to print and assemble your own Pentakis Dodecahedron can be found here.

56 Likes

Wonderful! Is it hard to get the last piece on?

8 Likes

Luckily, it lined up and snapped on without much pressure. I expected the whole thing to collapse.

11 Likes

You can cheat and remove the connector tabs for the last one, then glue pips into the holes on your last triangle and glue the faked triangle into place.

It’s what I did anyway :slight_smile:

(in this post: Rhombicosidodecahedron redux)

14 Likes

Excellent result.

3 Likes

I can so envision that. Like right out of a movie scene. right at the end. everything looks great then a pile of parts.

2 Likes

It looks great! (I would have been scared too to do that last one)

3 Likes

This is great. I especially appreciate you showing the assembly steps. You really did a wonderful job with numbering the connectors so you knew which pieces to attach to each. I know you could make it fancier by making decorative panels to hide the connector holes, but I really like it the way it is, sort of industrial. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Always such nice work. The connector is pretty ingenious.

4 Likes

I like seeing the connector holes. I think it would look great with those showing but the numbers on the inside where you don’t see them, just the lines and connectors. Because the inside looks great, but I like the lined detail on the outside. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t really take credit for the connector in the vertices idea. The 3D printed ones I’ve made use the same concept, and I use the same steps in Fusion 360 to get to the end result. Others here on the forum have done this sort of thing before I got to it. For example:

9 Likes

Nice!

5 Likes

Love the entire concept of no glue! Looks very nice.

3 Likes

Oh man I HAVE to make this! Thank you thank you thank you for sharing the files. I am not able to make my own files for polyhedrals!

EDIT: OMG I didn’t realise that you were also sharing other files, I’m going to be busy :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Loved the idea of snapping the pieces together. I’ve been making dodecahedrons using my laser cutter and holding the acrylic pieces together with nuts and bolts.

2 Likes

You might like these:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=tags%3Acreatures%20in%3Afirst

Laser-only polyhedrons are the rule for me, not the exception.

4 Likes