Printer Head Parts Falling Out

I just received my Glowforge Basic, and it seems to be a very cool machine! Unfortunately, I’m having some issues with the printer head. After a few prints, the lens fell out of the printer head after a print had finished - I put it back in with the included tool, but the same issue happened again, and the part behind the lens fell out too (as seen in the picture included). Is there an easy fix to keep this from happening? Thanks!

3 Likes

No, that is not supposed to happen. They might need to send you a replacement head.

2 Likes

Understood, thanks!

1 Like

Isn’t the thing above the lens normally a white plastic cylinder with ring magnet embedded in it. The object on the right doesn’t look like that. Maybe it doesn’t belong there. Can you show a picture of the underside of the head looking into the lens orifice?

2 Likes

the second piece looks like another lens but melted. in any case no the lenses shouldn’t be falling out. i would contact support.

1 Like

By posting a new thread here, they have contacted support. This opens a ticket same as any e-mail would. A duplicate ticket created by e-mail will actually slow down response time by increasing work load for support.

1 Like

Just to edit it:

Both the left and the right pieces look like lens assemblies, but there certainly should only be one.

This is a cross-section of the head assembly, with the proper location of the lens (only one) outlined in red:

They may have just inserted two by mistake. Though, as the lens is a type of glass, I am unsure how the one on the right would have burned.

The one on the left does look to be normal and undamaged, and you may be able to clean it and reinsert it.

8 Likes

Oh no! I’m sorry to see that. It’s not clear to me what happened so we will investigate and I will get back to you soon. I sincerely apologize for the trouble.

2 Likes

That’s good to know, I’ll try using just the lens on the left. Thanks!

Since the one on the right looks like it is melted / burnt it would be a good idea to check the lens, mirror and window of the head are clean and not smokey.

2 Likes

My best guess (and that’s all it is, a guess):

• There were two lenses installed by mistake.
  • The magnet in the carrier that holds the lens in place was strong enough to hold both lenses.
  • The top lens focused the collimated beam enough to heat the lower lens to the point of melting.
  • The o-ring between the lens and the snap ring burned up under the heat leaving the sooty appearance.

We can’t see the underside of the left lens in the picture (the one I suspect was on top). It should be carefully inspected to make sure it didn’t sustain any damage.

4 Likes

Woo Hoo! bonus lens!!

1 Like

Well, the top one cooked the lower it looked like…

3 Likes

True. Would have been great to find it before it went south.

1 Like

Thanks for your patience. Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.