Sandstone Cosmere Coasters

I bought some sandstone coasters and wasn’t sure what to do with them. I hadn’t seen many successful attempts at engraving. So, I ran across a YouTube video that tried cutting instead of engraving and it turned the design to glass. I’m so excited at how they turned out!

44 Likes

huh did you do any coloring or is that just how it worked out?

2 Likes

Nice!
The effect of my treasure hunts on silica minerals, it looks for all the world like obsidian, very dark and glass-like.

3 Likes

Great effect!

3 Likes

@evansd2 It’s just how it turned out. I thought the lines would melt thicker than they did (I would’ve chosen a different, more intricate design for one of them), but I like it better seeing the detail.

6 Likes

Great result. If you want to fool with wider lines you could try defocusing a bit for a wider beam, but slow it down some to get enough power to hit the surface.

I played with beam width modulation in a couple of posts:

and:

3 Likes

do you have the link to the video?

1 Like

Looks awesome, love happy accidents.

4 Likes

What a wonderful effect. Thanks for showing us. I’d love to try that.

3 Likes

@djfb Here is the video I watched

@evansd2 thank you!!

I always appreciate a fan made Cosmere project! The cut turned out super cool! I love science!

1 Like

Now there is a coaster project I can get into! Scoring instead of etching = faster production!

Brilliant result! Thanks for sharing.

(Don’t feed the troll. Just report it and move on.)

3 Likes

@crkjelstrom Thank you! I just finished Rhythm of War and was feeling inspired, lol. I love me some Cosmere, it’s fascinating! Instead of the Dragonblood logo, I wanted to do Warbreaker, but I thought it would be too intricate.

Dragonblood… You mean Dragonsteel? I’ll be honest, I haven’t read many of his books beyond Stormlight and Mistborn (I did read Warbreaker) so I don’t know the term Dragonblood.

Have you seen my projects, Cosmere related?

Brandon Sanderson is an amazing and brilliant author; the intricate workings of his magic systems continue to amaze me. I love the science that he delves into as well. Very informed.

What I love most is that his work inspires so many others as well. Particularly craftspeople!

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Now that is a really nice effect. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Very nice result and the halo effect is pretty cool!

FWIW, engraving worked pretty well on my sandstone tile and you can get quite deep with it, but at some point doing multiple passes doesn’t necessarily make more/deeper glass, and instead it can just knock out the top layer.

2 Likes

Oh those are nice!
(she said as she was eyeballing her own plain coasters…)

4 Likes

That turned out really great, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes