Sawdust collection

I seem to be having issues with the air filter. Every print here lately there is a huge collection of sawdust around the laser air filter. I just feel something is off. I’ve only had my aura for a few weeks. It started out printing really good. Then all of a sudden every print stops incomplete with a yellow/orange light flashing and there is a huge collection of sawdust in the system. I have a personal filter as well when I check the filter it seems to be working because the filter has a slight discoloration to it. I’ve also noticed a slight discoloration to the case which is a small circle that never comes clean when I clean the system. And I do clean the system before every print I try. Using isopropyl alcohol 91% I also use q-tips with alcohol on the laser air filter to clean the sawdust off. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Glowforge recommends that the Aura not be used for cutting mdf, draftboard and plywood. I think your filter is overwhelmed: Aura and MDF - #6 by dklgood

5 Likes

I’m using a light basil wood. Which is a recommended material. Is this wrong to use and if so what should I be using?

1 Like

I am uncertain about your material. I simply shared the link where Glowforge says mdf and plywood is not recommended.

2 Likes

Thanks for you help!

Laser filters get clogged really quickly, it’s all the large particles. I know with the :glowforge: filters people put in pre-filters. Basically material that you put at the very top that wears out incredibly quickly, but it catches the majority of the large stuff and is reasonably inexpensive. Sacrificing a pre-filter lets the actual filter last far longer. Does the :aura: filter look like it has enough space to put one of these in?

If you want to read a fascinating thread on a complete breakdown of a Glowforge filter, check this out:

5 Likes

Thanks for you advice! That is an interesting thread.

2 Likes

With the amount of dust and residue buildup on your Aura, I would never have guessed that you’ve had it only a few weeks. You must be using it a lot every single day.

5 Likes

Yes I am I’m a small business owner and I’m preparing for a festival in April.

2 Likes

Something seems amiss, I’ve never seen any sawdust in my Aura - are you using Proofgrade light basswood from Glowforge or from another source?

3 Likes

I bought my source from Amazon, but all indications says it’s light basswood

1 Like

Do you still have the GF piece that came with your Aura? Does it make sawdust too?

(GF Proofgrade plywoods are different than woods you get elsewhere - they’re prefinished veneers laminated over a basswood core fornthr ‘light’ and thick versions, MDF cores for medium)

4 Likes

Unfortunately no I used it as my test piece when I first got my GF Aura. I didn’t have any other materials yet, and I was super excited to get started. The first few prints went well except for me getting to know the settings and how to use the GF. I printed several things without any problems until the dust started to build up in my GF Aura. Mind you I’ve only had it for two weeks.

2 Likes

MDF is the bane of all filters and has many undesirable issues IMHO. It is common to use it between veneers but this is not the case with all plywood.
Real Baltic Birch cannot use it and in PG the light and thick plywood to do use it but the Medium ply does.

Even at grocery stores, they sell an air conditioner filter that is just an open cell foam. This will catch the larger bits without impeding air flow and are washable.

Do you have a link to the wood you’ve been using?

And have you contacted support?

3 Likes

Yes, I have submitted a support email. And I may call them here soon if I don’t hear from them. I know I’m not doing this right but this is for the wood I bought. I can’t figure out how to make it a hyperlink😅

https://www.amazon.com/Adrattnay-Basswood-Sheets-inch-Unfinished/dp/B0CF9486H1/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1RSZJAXLI77FF&keywords=Adrattnay+Basswood+Sheets+1%2F8+x+12+x+12+inch+-+3mm+Basswood+Sheets+Plywood+Sheets%2C+48Pcs+Square+Unfinished+Wood+Board+for+DIY+Crafts%2C+Laser+Cutting%2C+Wood+Burning%2C+Painting%2C+Model+Carving&qid=1705599807&sprefix=adrattnay+basswood+sheets+1%2F8+x+12+x+12+inch+-+3mm+basswood+sheets+plywood+sheets%2C+48pcs+square+unfinished+wood+board+for+diy+crafts%2C+laser+cutting%2C+wood+burning%2C+painting%2C+model+carving%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-3

So this is definitely medium plywood, and here is what Glowforge says about materials:

Material Capability

Can safely print on any laser-compatible material, including the examples below. Glowforge recommends using Aura-compatible Proofgrade® materials for smart settings and perfect results. Proofgrade materials are specially sourced and lab-tested for creating prints safely at home.
Note: Most Proofgrade materials work beautifully with your Glowforge Aura, but we recommend against using Draftboard™, medium plywood, and clear, white, and blue acrylic. All other acrylic colors, and both Light and Thick plywoods, will work wonderfully. Learn more about laser-compatible materials here and see our collection of Aura-compatible Proofgrade materials here.

2 Likes

So basically, it’s my material doing the problem. I will have to figure out what to do next.

Any suggestions for a good material besides GF I know it’s what’s best but just starting out on the GF I can’t really afford their prices just yet. I need to get things moving and get some profit going before I’m able to get GF proof grade material.

I don’t know what you are making so it is hard to suggest some other material. Wait and see what Glowforge support says about the sawdust. Maybe it isn’t the material.

1 Like