Set To Focus : Constant Frustrating Hassle

I am consistently getting the FOCUS ERROR on Print material , I have purchased a New lens it just takes 20 Focuses over and over again , and If i get lucky I can print. This is no good.

It use to work so good , was there an update Please help

I’m sorry that you’ve run into trouble when using Set Focus and setting up your recent prints. I extracted the logs from your most recent prints and Set Focus attempts to take a closer look, and it appears that the material you’re printing on might be close to or a bit over 0.5in thick. It also looks like the material might have a bumpy surface, which could impact the measurement that Set Focus takes.

You can print on objects up to 2" thick by removing the crumb tray. However, your Glowforge can’t focus too far down, so you may need to put something laser-compatible underneath your material to lift it up. Raise it until the top surface of your material is between 1.5" and 2" (50 mm) high, measured from the metal plate on the bottom.

Our community has developed some great Tips and Tricks, and this illustrated guide might be just what you need.

If you look through the above advice and are still having trouble, would you be able to provide us with some more information about the material you’re using, and a few photos of how you have it set up? We’ll be happy to take a closer look!

1 Like

The material 0.5 and only recently have I had this issue after years of cutting the same material .
I have two machines and they are both struggling , seems to be a software update that changed just recently is that possible ?

Thank you for checking on my machine.

I’m sorry to hear that the issue is occurring with more than one unit. We haven’t released a recent software update which would impact how material is measured.

I’d like to check the logs from your other unit as well. Unfortunately, when I look at the user account for the email address that you use to log into the forum, I only see one Glowforge that has been active recently. So that I can locate the logs for your 2nd unit from today, would you please send me the serial numbers for both of your units that is located on a label on the back of the machines?

You can email the serial numbers to our team at support@glowforge.com and let them know that the email should be forwarded on to me.

Also, any photos you can share showing how your material is currently set up on the bed of your units would be very helpful as I investigate this issue further.

I’m sorry about the ongoing trouble. I see that you’ve create a new forum thread for this topic. In order to avoid any confusion, we try to keep issues to a single support ticket per topic. It looks like other community members are also providing some advice and information on the new thread, so I’ll close this thread and continue to assist you with troubleshooting in the new thread: