Settings for 1/4 inch birch plywood

yup, my revised cut settings have been on quarter inch / 6mm baltic birch, power full, speed 125 on a manually entered thickness of .21, but I don’t know what .22 through .25 will do.

I hit the glue patches or whatever they are and damn sometimes I’m like struggling to release. cut it with a knife. I wish I had a more fun way to release it. Iv’e given up on some, just said f— it, and tried another board. Ugh. But other times, clean cuts and little to break away.

2 Likes

So you’re doing 5 passes at 170 speed? Try 125 speed, one pass. But then again it could be some space age glue that can only be persuaded with a jig saw. who knows!

I need a tool like an Xacto blade with saw teeth for the occasional stubborn spot in plywood.

2 Likes

hey, good callout!

X-ACTO Extra Fine Saw Blade - http://www.xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/blades/detail/X239

Tamiya Handy Craft Saw II - https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tools/handy-craft-saw-ii/

2 Likes

The Tamiya was more what I was thinking. Looks like X-acto has one too.

1 Like

The 1/4" BB I have (from Shur-Way in Vancouver, WA) usually cuts pretty well at 175/full(basic) x3. Yours sounds a bit more stubborn!

2 Likes

Interesting. Do you change the focus height with each pass? Is the 3 pass to avoid char or just too dense of a material?

Oh my gosh!!! Thank you so much for this. I have the same wood from them and I cannot get a consistent cut with my GF. I will try your settings for 1/4.

1 Like

What kind of hand finish tool do you use?

I’m WAY happier working with 1/8”, in fact I’ve completely abandoned 1/4” as a comfortable option. I always double up when I need extra thick pieces.

2 Likes

So you just cut twice on 1/8 and glue them together? Is that what you mean?

Yep! Exactly. You’ll have nice golden edges, instead of charred black.

2 Likes

Ahhhhh! Genius! Thank you!

And when you need perfect alignment of your layers use registration pins/tabs. For instance:

You don’t have to give up your precision when you use layers :slight_smile:

4 Likes

do you mirror your image and then glue the picture cut sides?

There’s also these that fit the regular #1 handle if you don’t have a B handle.

4 Likes

I suppose you could, but I just do the same cut, with masking on the underside to protect against the flashback and smoke trails

Thank you I have found your settings to be very helpful. I use the 140 speed with full power but 3 passes and that does the job 99.9% of the time the rest is taken care of with an exacto knife but I find I don’t have to recut any more sheets. Flare up is the only problem though but it is minimal

Glad my settings work for you. The quality of the Baltic Birch makes a big difference. Good quality one does not have many thick spots.

I avoid finishing like the plague :slight_smile:
I sell kits that other people finish.

5 Likes