Shipping Help for US Armed Forces in Europe

Hi guys,

I need a little help. I initially set my postage address for my glowforge pro and filter to a standard european home address but it has recently been suggested to me that I may be able to use my AE (Armed Forces Europe) shipping address instead.

I have a couple of questions that I hoped you guys would be able to help me with. Firstly I need to know how easy it is to change my shipping address, and secondly I need to get an idea of shipping dimensions and weight for the Pro + Air Filter. I have a maximum size and weight limit for items I can have shipped to the Armed Forces address and before I change things up I want to make sure I won’t be making more trouble for myself down the line.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alexi

1 Like

Hi @tawatkin2000,

This is a question that would be best answered by emailing support@glowforge.com or tagging @Rita. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi @Cynd11,

I’ll give both of those a go and see who bites first. Thanks for your help!

@Rita , would you be able to help me out?

With that and the crumb-tray box completely filled my CRV trunk with the seats down (PRU but I assume the boxes are the same) and there is a smaller box with the head/hose).

Of course we don’t know the filter yet.

Should fit in a C5A or C17…

2 Likes

Hi @henryhbk I just found those details myself. Dimensions look like they should be fine. Annoyingly I have a 70lb upper limit on weight per package. It seems the C17 is a lightweight after all.

1 Like

All I have to add here is that every time I shipped anything APO it seemed like they must have shipped it in a leaky submarine and then dropped it out of a C-130.

Just food for thought. I dont know how they care for AE mail.

You have not given your address yet. The company does not collect an address until after you receive the email asking if you want it to ship. You are both overseas and have ordered a Pro so that email has not yet been sent. Only Basic units are now shipping.

2 Likes

Oh I know they’re not shipping yet. I did have to give an address with regards to paying for the shipping to Europe, which for the Pro and Air Filter came to a little under $1000. I’m hoping that if I can get this changed to an APO not only will that drop a bit, but I also may manage to not get hit again for the 20% import duty!

6 Likes

Well, this makes total sense to me. I used to work for a company that supplies deployable structures to the Military and our POC at Natick (Testing) told us that every single piece in a container must be tied down in case a C-130 flips upside down. They can’t have anything moving around. At the time, we all thought he was joking and we laughed, he was not amused with our reaction.

3 Likes

So now the question becomes, not only whether my Pro and Air Filter will fit within the size and weight limitations of APO, but whether they can survive the journey!

2 Likes

Well after this event (not sure I’d entrust my GF to these guys), not surprising that these guys might want a lower weight limit (note profanity):

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m not certain even my extended warranty will cover that one.

7 Likes

Just had a response from GF and I thought I’d share it here just in case someone else has the same question at a later date.

It seems that as the shipping weight is a little over 70lbs APO deliveries are not available, at least for the pre-order stage. Something of a bummer but I’ll make do. Thanks for everyone’s help.

6 Likes

When I read your OP, I kept imagining my GF being delivered to my old FPO address — onboard the USS Eisenhower (CVN-69). :wink:

4 Likes

Here comes my Glowfooooge… There goes my Glowfoooorge.

2 Likes

Norfolk UK so nowhere near as luxurious I assure you. It seems I’ll have to go with old fashioned mail alas. Though considering the video posted above maybe I should be happy about that!

2 Likes

That should be fairly easy to arrange.

Wow, I was expecting one failed drop in that video. They destroyed three of them! Boy do they burn money in the military.

1 Like

I get the impression that the Pro comes in a box which is a little too heavy for APO and they’re a non-negotiable kind of bunch. I put some cash aside to cover the import duty anyway so it’s not as if it’s a deal breaker for me, I just figured it would be worth a try.

It also misses on the physical size/girth.

Length + (Height x 2) + (Width x 2)

46 + (162) + (292) = 136"

Max is 130" for Parcel Select and 108" for Priority.