Skewed gantry- duck waddle

Not quite sure how speed and power affect only half the Y axis steppers. If this were an additive process where there is contact in the third dimension, maybe. But if that’s what it takes then that’s what it takes…

Amen to that!

Amen, amen!

Done that and the results are the same. (only copied the draft board material sticker and pasted it on a piece of cardstock to save the draftboard as I do believe it would be a waste.) Results below.

Also ran the founders ruler which got a bit toasty. But you can see that the cutout is larger on the right side than the left.

As a side note, I assume that the warranty period starts when I get my first working unit. Rita, can you please confirm. It would be really disappointing should that not be the case.

Please advise and thanks in advance.

1 Like

Did you try turning the machine off, then push the gantry to the rear wall, making sure it is parallel? When I got my machine, the gantry was all shifted out of place. They told me to push it back into position, and now it works fine

Glowforge provides an extra piece of draftboard above and beyond the free materials provided for the purpose of troubleshooting at their request. It might seem like a stupid thing to do, but it’s tech support and that’s generally how the process goes.

Warranty begins at shipment (which I’m sure will be debated endlessly by folks as to what the phrase “shipment to the purchaser” means). I’m going to say and feel confident GF will say: when it leaves the flex dock on a truck.
This Limited Warranty covers the Basic Model and the Air Filter for 6 months from the original date of shipment to the purchaser, and the Pro Model for 12 months from the original date of shipment to the purchaser. Unless otherwise required by law, any implied warranties are limited to the foregoing warranty periods.

I think the question is if it is DOA and you get a second one, does the warranty start again.

That should be asked in a new post so we get an answer, hopefully in three days.

I have my thoughts on that and how it’s handled - but that’s all that they are. I’d probably go by the verbiage though that states, “original date of shipment to the purchaser.”

@henry

The testing on their end does not work correctly if you take the sticker for draftboard and put it on a piece of cardstock. Part of the information transmitted by that sticker is the thickness of the material, which sets the focal point correctly. When GF asks you to test it on the Proofgrade, they have a reason for it. It helps them to eliminate problems. If you tell them you tested it on Proofgrade but didn’t, they can’t accurately diagnose what the problem might be, and it wastes their time and yours.

In addition, Glowforge support is not allowed to answer questions on non-Proofgrade materials. (Legal reasons as well as probably support staffing reasons.) So if you want rapid resolution, it’s a good idea to do exactly what they ask as quickly as possible. It helps them to help you faster. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Perhaps in the case when you need to look at the result but in this case the video of the gantry is enough to show it is faulty. The gantry should never skew during operation, period.

Support is trying to do their job, as procedure dictates. They are following directions as they have been told, I would do the same.

In Bootcamp they spent an inordinate amount of time teaching us exactly how to fold our clothes. At an open question session a recruit with an attitude said "I joined the Navy to learn how to work on airplanes, not how to fold my underwear!"
The reply was “If you can’t follow directions on folding your underwear, do you think they are going to give you tools and turn you loose on a 60 million dollar aircraft?”

Run.The.Test.

10 Likes

See original post.

Assuming unit is working correctly, which is it not.

Actually 18 months

Yessir!

Z Axis is working fine!

…I don’t think it’s about proofgrade material, asking why the gantry is skewed and does a duck-waddle, but if burning up a good sheet of material makes everybody happy, I’m game.
Got to go burn some (wood?)

:sunglasses: to all

1 Like

Correct - we receive an additional warranty due to the delays, etc. I was just copy/pasting out of the actual warranty documentation rather than my own words, so that it would be more official-like. :wink:

1 Like

I know they’re sending out a piece of draft board with orders just to test with. So no cost to us. If we use it all up on test cuts, will we get a new one? Think I’ll ask that one.

1 Like

Small caveat… The extra warranty was added for the Pre-order customers. Can’t remember when Production started. The extra warranty is included for everyone that ordered from Sept 24 2015 until at least June 8, 2017.

GF might be including the extra warranty after production started. But I would assume nothing. The extra warranty hasn’t been mentioned in the context of new orders since June 8 and the website doesn’t mention it.

2 Likes

When it comes to support calls, when a customer wants to pull rank and not do what’s asked, I end the call. That simple. If they could have fixed it on their own, they would have, and wouldnt be calling. So let the professionals do their jobs and do the tests they ask.

1 Like

Hahaha, sorry!
bet it will be replaced unfortunately.

Have no idea whether support would ask in this case for the customer to cut something. It’s clear the gantry motion is a problem. Positioning would be affected. There were a few early issues with my machine where they did not ask me to cut anything.

Still, the worst customers and the most difficult to help are those that think they understand the problem. Some of the smartest people are completely illogical. Many think several steps ahead and can’t follow a step by step process.

2 Likes

Good to know.

I must all of the above. (oh,ok, I’m not illogical… no,wait, I’m not the smartest… oh what the heck, I’m the latter not the former.)

On another note: Actually on a piece of ACTUAL PROOFDRAFTBOARD!

and

and

Houston, I think we have a problem.

Rita, same issue I think.
Standing by.

5 Likes

By the way. The worst customers comment was in no way directed at you. By the time I posted that, had forgotten what the original topic was or who had posted. We tend to follow threads randomly waiting for Support to provide answers.

1 Like

rpegg, I know it wasn’t, all good.
I liked the several steps ahead part though, that was the latter part!
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

:sunglasses:
:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like