Snack trays shadowbox style

IMG_2701

So many of us have been inspired by @designvh619’s acrylic coaster set. I just thought there are many coasters out there, how about a snack tray set. My first tray was a bit of a failure, but the idea was sound. it is surprisingly challenging to come up with an overall design that also makes sense as individual pieces. Initially I made a simple wooden base for it, but that didn’t look right either. I settled on a base of thick clear acrylic the trays fit into, and added a blue layer of acrylic underneath, which gives for a very nice effect. I printed the tray designs on the reverse so you can eat off the smooth side. Here are shots of the individual trays (hardly does it justice though). Each tray is 9" x 4.5". Designs are from OpenClipart with some adaptation. They’re still sorting out after being hacked.

IMG_2700
IMG_2702

70 Likes

WOW!!! That is Stunning! I really love that idea! I think we are venturing into the “That is too pretty to use” category! LOL

5 Likes

Well, I hope someone gets to eat from them! Like cheese and crackers at least… :cheese:

5 Likes

MMMMM Cheese…:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

2 Likes

or chocolate… :chocolate_bar: or lobster bits :lobster: or cookies :cookie: or pie :pie: or…

4 Likes

Gorgeous! (I’d have to agree that it would be too pretty to use as a cheese and crackers tray though, except maybe at an “Event”.) :grinning:

4 Likes

What Event are we going to? The Glowforge meet up where we hang out with all the cool people on the forum and Dan makes an impromptu appearance?! :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Yes, that would be an appropriate use! :smile:

4 Likes

Excellent execution. I love the sea theme.

2 Likes

IMPRESSIVE!! Lots of great talent…I aspire to be like you and designvh619 some day. Kudos.

3 Likes

If this ever actually happens I’m not bringing anything due to embarrassment. It would be like bringing a tuna sandwich to a church potluck!

5 Likes

Ohmygosh, love love love! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Are you kidding?! I aspire to design like @designvh619 one day! :grinning:

1 Like

Hey we need those too, especially if I bring the snack plates!

2 Likes

This is awesome!!!
Curious how thick is the acrylic?

2 Likes

These are simply lovely. I think I would use these more than coasters. The layering effect is very cool and the whole thing is so functional, as well. And, the stand is extremely neat…so simple yet very elegant. Reminds me a lot of how I made this LED light…same thought process…layers of related images to create a whole picture. I think you will agree that it’s lots of fun and quite a challenge to line all the layers up correctly.

3 Likes

Wonderful timing for me! I got to film this today and your project is great inspiration for my images. The scene you put together is just beautiful.

Here’s two of 1200+ images I took :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Wooh! Totally cool!!! Now to build a wooden tray frame to insert around them for framing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Jealous!

2 Likes

That is outfrigginstanding! I love this as a piece of art.

I worry about the durability of the acrylic as something like this or even coasters. Please report back after several uses and washes and let us know.

3 Likes