So...is this article TRUE? Glowforge not shipping unitl Q2 2016 NOW?

40W CO2 lasers can do that so GF should as well. Your experience will be different depending on tile type and finish. You can also use LaserTile for engraves that mark like Cermark. Etching a standard tile and then doing a paint wipe (paint the tile and then squeegee or wipe it off leaving the paint in the etch) is definitely a doable and nice technique.

1 Like

Excellent. Planning personalized Christmas ornaments for my children, among other things. Some are white glazed ceramic, some are clear glass bulbs (or flattened bulbs). I’m hoping to be able to etch right into the material, not deep, just making it visible. I also owe an artist friend a set of custom coasters.

2 Likes

Obviously, I’m going to be one of those testing a LOT of non-ProofGrade materials. I really can’t wait.

3 Likes

You can do those too. I did those last year. Got them off Amazon but Hobby Lobby also carries them. They etch like regular glass. Use a wet paper towel or newsprint on top and then etch. It prevents fracturing.

2 Likes

Good to know. Something for a little protection of the glass, and works great? Love it. I still have some from when the family painted some a couple years back.

1 Like

Here is one from a while back:

a few posts later in that thread is a youtube video of someone using the LaserTile stuff (but not on a glowforge)

1 Like

I saw that one. I was more curious about white glazed tiles, and doing a little post to dye the etching a contrasting color.

1 Like

It helps keep the surrounding glass cool. You can also use a wipe of dishwashing liquid. I find it easier to clean up the paper vs having to wash the piece in the sink (yeah, I know, first world problem :slightly_smiling_face:).

Well, it gives me nice options for trying it out. I have plans with leather and other stuff, too. I expect the first week or two, it will only rest when I’m sleeping…if the task doesn’t take longer than that.

Welcome to the forum Jason! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Did you see this one?

Tile won’t warp, and can be stored for a wonderfully long time. I’m looking forward to playing with it as well!

3 Likes

I ordered my Pro back in September. I’ve been watching ideas, but I have a LOT of catching up to do. I have ready access to certain materials, including cardboard, and am planning a LOT of crafts (including the dual-gattling drone…who DOESN’T want that?)

3 Likes

I didn’t see that one. If it works with white as well as with dark, it will do EXACTLY what I’m looking for. That is amazing.

5 Likes

Welcome @jason.fuller0 to the forum. Things are getting quite exciting here lately.

Also check out http://lasertile.com/
The montly specials and the free shipping box deals aren’t bad at all sometimes (I got a bos of 6x6 tiles - just waiting for the GF)

1 Like

Thanks for the link. While I’m planning to start with Home Depot/Lowes and likely free materials, I’m planning to use some laser-ready materials, too, and I am trying to assemble a list of resources for that.

There is also this Cermark product. It’s not cheap, but would mark tiles without breaking the glaze. I got some bronze to try on plates and platters. It also comes in a few other colors, although they don’t seem very vibrant. Now I just need a Glowforge.

2 Likes

Yes, I was aware of Cermark. For my initial project plans, breaking the glaze is not only part of the plan, but even the intended result. I’m sure I will have some projects where it cannot be broken, though, and I’ve seen some of the threads and links here on Cermark and cheaper alternatives.

Have you looked into sand blasting ( the Harbor Freight air eraser is less than $30 - but need a compressor). Just mentioning this because they do make the laser masks for glass/ceramic that you laser the design (i.e. get nice resolution) then sandblast it for deeper You ould also then color it before removing the mask. Although if blasted thu the glaze, there are some coloring methods to wipe on that will only “stick” to the lasered or engraved areas.

I do have limited space right now, so I’ve not looked into sand blasting, yet. I have considered it as a possibility for some etching on stuff that would not fit in the GF.