The Joy of Design

Same here. It saves all the drama and headaches!

1 Like

Then you keep the clock running for as long as it takes them to make up their minds, and bill out every round of revisions.

It’s OK for a client to be the “Well, what if we did this?” type as long as they’re aware they have to pay for the time. Otherwise you’re working on speculation, burning away the budget, and the profit was gone long ago.

2 Likes

internal clients pay less attention to that kind of budget. at least in marketing in a big company. i wish i could say it was different. on the plus side, i’m not getting nickeled and dimed on “you have to accomplish XX is 3.75 hrs.”

But when you bill Captain Awesome, do you accept alternative payments? (Vacuuming floors and doing dishes for a month, etc)

5 Likes

Bahaha! I only ever billed him once as a joke. The payment form had pictures of:

A Cat
A Diamond
A Pair of shoes
A ?

11 Likes

Love it. If I was on the paying side, I know which of those I’d be pushing for.

2 Likes

Most hysterical design blog ever: :slight_smile:

http://www.27bslash6.com/p2p2.html

11 Likes

Make some score lines on the bottom of the inside of the box. It should give the edge of the cards something to grab onto so they don’t slip. You may have to experiment with width, depth, and spacing.

4 Likes

Okay, that was mean, because I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole…ROFL! :smile:
(Definitely bookmarking that for further amusement.)

2 Likes

Good idea. :grinning:

I hate it when I go to the Spacely Space Sprokets office and somebody from Cogswell Cogs is sitting behind the desk.

Does this happen to people in his industry often?

1 Like

No, that was the point. He wasn’t thinking that one through. :wink:

1 Like

And then there’s the always entertaining:

8 Likes

Oh, wow. Makes me want to go and delete all my pretentious posts. Snark and cynicism have their places I guess.

4 Likes

Very nice!
I can’t stand it when I ask for the logo files and I get handed a buscard. We have clients that send us the signature on the end of their email and want me to make em a 3x5’ display with it. When I ask again for the vector files, they tell me that’s all they got. Three days later I drove by one of their offices and they have a brand new sign out front with that vector logo that they swear they don’t have.

4 Likes

I don’t know what’s worse…trying to get a scan of a logo on a business card, or trying to download it from the customer’s web page…all of ten pixels tall at 72 ppi. I usually have to recreate it in Illustrator to get anything usable. :smile:

4 Likes

Web page is worse. Much worse. Especially when it’s going to be six inches tall on a poster that people are going to look at from two or three feet away!

4 Likes

Ok. I just spent three hours reading Clients from Hell. Why O why do you all do this to me?

11 Likes

Your reply made me scroll up, click the link, and spend the last 20 minutes reading the site. I’m not sure who to blame. :wink:

7 Likes

I know people are that way, but I am surprisingly insulated against them. Well, now that I don’t have a school to manage. I guess I could post some of my wedding booking conversations. Beware of any call that begins, “My daughter would like to get married in your church.”

7 Likes