The Obligatory Escutcheon

See, I have to do Stargate, Dalek, Cats, Aztec Stone, and more. Going to burn $20 in proofgrade just on that… Though some non-clear stuff I might be able to get away with doing in cardboard and painting.

5 Likes

Then get one of those robot arm devices to serve as your own personal escutcheon randomizer. Every time you push the button, it waits 5 minutes, then swaps out the ring.

4 Likes

Oh, now that is an idea…wonder if my Makerspace will have room for that.

Going to be starting as a printer stand and old entertainment center in a corner of my living room. Will contain, Printer, 3D printer, laptop, Glowforge, and intermittently 2 cats.

1 Like

I didn’t have a slide rule but thought they were neat so I download a phone app that functioned like a slide rule. I thought it to be quite the irony. A fancy computer simulating an old slide rule! You could slide the center scale and flip the rule over as well…all with a swipe of a finger! And no need to worry about aligning the cursor!

6 Likes

Awesome! Sounds like a good way to learn to use one! ( will go look)

Thanks!:grinning:

Although it is already the name of my Airport Time Capsule (wireless router and backup drive) I might have to call my Glowforge the Pandorica. I have a feeling I will lose all track of time playing with it.

14 Likes

This is what I plan to make for mine.

My drawing simplifies the design a bit, but I think it will still be sufficiently creepy. :wink:

35 Likes

Oh, I forgot to mention that we used glow-in-the-dark vinyl.

39 Likes

Love love love love

1 Like

marmil: (Puts a sheet of PVC on the bed)
GF: I’m afraid I can’t cut that…

12 Likes

Heck yes that’s awesome

I’ve been pondering a wall plate along these lines. A bit of red acrylic over the button will be awesome. Still trying to figure out scoring that backside to emulate the deep lens distortion created for the film.

1 Like

My version! Still learning how to convert images for etching. This one could use some cleanup.

49 Likes

Just showed this to the family. Everyone loves it!

1 Like

I threw my gauntlet in this ring. Here’s a very imperfect first attempt.

My cut didn’t go all the way through on the inner circle, so I got a bit forceful. I was also just doing an outline circle by eye, and went a scosh large. I’ll re-input manual settings a bit stronger.

28 Likes

Love it! :sunglasses:

Cool. You should think about just cutting the outline rather than a big circle. That would look epic!

4 Likes

I agree. I expected that and was surprised to see the outline of the larger circle.

Add some color and it’ll really pop :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only have inkscape and Photoshop cs3 at my disposal, and I can’t exactly say I am a master at inkscape yet. I figure I could make a bunch of circle shapes and rectangles to join and have an outside shape, but that is tedious and last night I simply didn’t have time. I also quickly attempted the trace bitmap function and do offset, but that was a mess too.

How would you do an outline cut?

In Inkscape I use the trace bitmap and check the ‘Remove background’ option.
@mpipes is a wizard in Inkscape (in my perception), he has really helped me break through a few walls I was up against.