The Obligatory Escutcheon

I believe I will be hiding at that point. :wink:

4 Likes

Well, a weekly summary would be a full time job for at least 2 people at that point, and take an hour to skim.

5 Likes

Being a huge benefit to the company to showcase user products, perhaps a new position or responsibility of a glowforge employee to monitor the forum and cherry-pick the standouts for further display on social media.
To make it more manageable restrict entries to ‘made on a glowforge’.
For any one user to assume that responsibility once these machines are in the hands of tens of thousands will be overwhelming… as you can already attest. :sweat:

A user who’s work is worthy and featured might be rewarded with some degree of store credit in reciprocity.
Just a thought.

3 Likes

Oh, I’m sure they will think along those lines once they get past the shipout.

First few months have the potential to be either killer chaotic, or relatively smooth, if they have enough people floating around on the forum who more or less know what they are doing, who can answer some of the easier questions for first-timers who need a little help.

(They know what they’re doing, I think. Their picks for PRUs and Betas have been excellent choices. Hopefully most of us won’t be hesitant about stepping in to help when the time comes.)

8 Likes

Hopefully also new users will search the forums for answers too, since the number of insanely useful posts is higher in this forum than almost any other I have seen…And since it’s only for owners so far, the relevance is high (well except when posts go OT - :grinning:)

10 Likes

Searching is cool, provided we can keep things indexed in more or right the same subjects. It also helps if the actual search feature is smart enough. I’ve seen a lot of promise there so far.

1 Like

I think I’ve read too much today.
Just read the heading as “The Olfactory Escutcheon” .

Mmm … time for more coffee, I think.

2 Likes

14 Likes

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
:hearts:

1 Like

nice eyes

3 Likes

Yeah, I only wish I looked like that…(just an internet image.)

Hey, as far as any of us know, you do. :wink:

5 Likes

That’s another reason to not burst anyone’s bubble. :wink:
(I’m really quite average, looks-wise. Pretty boring.)

2 Likes

On the internet everyone is a hedgehog until prove otherwise?

16 Likes

I’ve been noticing (& perhaps erroneously - maybe confirmation bias) that there appears to be a much higher proportion of dark hair/light eyes then there was 30 years ago. It used to be the light hair/eye combo and dark hair/eye combo were normative and light hair/dark eyes was a potential (probable) indicator she dyed her hair. Genetics suggests an overall tendency for dominant genes like those controlling dark hair/eyes to grow in prevalence in a heterogeneous society. But the opposite appears to be happening.

@henryhbk might know whether it’s really happening or if it’s me only noticing the cases that support what I think I see.

(Told you I’d be ADHD nowadays. A mind is a terrible thing not to let wander :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Nowadays though, anyone can have any color eyes they want. (I’ve always wanted to get a set of those cat’s eyes contacts…wicked.)

8 Likes

I’ve come very close a few times to getting vampire or werewolf lenses. I wanted some subtle differences to see if folks at work noticed.

Naturally, I appear hair color dominant, eye color recessive. That isn’t the appearance I was born with.

1 Like

My non-glowing SG-1 escutcheon was seeming a bit bland, so while today’s amazing announcements were flooding the forum, I made this…

Decided to call it SR-1. Yup, Slide Rule 1 :sunglasses:

Proofgrade Cherry ply, btw.

63 Likes

I like that. Pondering making one that resembles a safe dial, now.

2 Likes

Now that’s one I wouldn’t mind having as well. You must offer that in the catalog. :smile:
(Don’t you dare try to send it to me…I want to buy it.)

3 Likes