Variations of finger joints

That happens when you have more than one node in the same spot. The blue arrow would merge nodes on top of each other (in most cases) and you’d get them back.

Be careful in inkscape performing node operations with anything that is really detailed. A box like this isn’t likely to give you trouble, but more complicated shapes with lots of nodes close to each other can go really sideways as Inkscape guesses which nodes should be paired to which.

This is true with stroke to path and inset/outset as well. Just give your design a thorough inspection afterward if precision will be important to your final design. Extra modes and unexpected tiny curves can happen.

4 Likes

The issue there is non-linear issues with the geometry represented in the node handles on curves that tiny differences make for huge results that can become close enough to infinite to crash the computer as it zooms by the biggest number the computer can handle.

I have managed three different approaches depending on circumstances. The first is to try to eliminate the crossed lines as it is the points very near each other that cause most of the problems. In that case the union command will eliminate such duplication of area caused by the solution I laid out above.

Where six icons to the right of that red arrow forces a straight line between two selected nodes that nonlinear issue is eliminated, but obviously also gets rid of curves you might want if used too broadly. However if most of the design works out except for a few wild loops, selecting those loops and making them straight lines will often solve that problem.

Thirdly if an offset starts making wild results at the slightest movement I have found that with greater movement that critical distance is past and you get closer to the result you wish, which is very counter intuitive but has worked for me. Further wherever you move that offset point to the computer will try and offset the design through that point. Sometimes there are many wildly different results very near to where you have placed that point so the results will look very crazy as the slightest move will supply that very different result. If you move that point anywhere near the design, and especially where there are few such possibilities you will get a much more stable result even if it is near the center of the design rather than the corner where it first appears.

1 Like

Beautiful work! Thank you.

2 Likes

Outstanding! Thank you for the examples.

2 Likes

I wonder about applications for embedded magnets like this.

2 Likes

embedded magnets

I use them to keep boxes closed. The leather wrapped layered boxes are a good example.

I know that @rbtdanforth does a lot of magnet enclosures too. I think someone made a box with magnet corners but can’t recall offhand. I’d love to see what you come up with.

2 Likes

I have the Magnets for it, but as yet only a name badge that used the magnet ability. I have been playing a bit with spring latches taking advantage of small amounts of springiness in the wood but all of that is still im my head and not the work as yet.

2 Likes

Huh I thought you were the one who sanded magnets flush? I should have searched.

Huh searching doesn’t yield anything, it’s a tough thing to search for. I stand corrected.

2 Likes

Only at the moment :blush: I will seek to make it true,

2 Likes

These are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Awwwwsome! Thanks for taking the time to share!

1 Like

You have taken finger joints to a level which has not been seen in 100 yrs!!! I make boxes and would love to learn more. Hope we can chat in greater detail. Synapseps@gmail.com

2 Likes

Do it here, not in email, so the rest of us can benefit too. That’s the beauty of sharing in the forum! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wowee wow! I must have been on a very extended lunch break or something when you posted this. These are so stunning! Your abilities are over the top.

2 Likes

Sure, I’m happy to answer any questions you might have. Just post them here like @geek2nurse suggested.

2 Likes

Really inspiring work guys. Here’s some more inspiration after you all got me searching: “Japanese Joinery” https://thejoinery.jp & http://bit.ly/2QUedNu although with the angles I guess not all will be possible on the :glowforge:

3 Likes

That second link is all kinds of awesome!

It’s been a while…has anyone come up with any new finger joint types to add?

#necrogame

1 Like

Your gap-toothed variant on the mastermind set still makes me furious that I didn’t think of it :wink:

4 Likes

OK, so finger joints are just too practical because they align the corner. I do not use them because I don’t like glue; I like glue - it works.
Glowforgers have gotten so that they think the only way to join material is with a finger joint. But classic finger joints are sooo boring., & you have addressed that. Thanks for the inspiration.

1 Like