Veneer will knock your socks off, Draftboard in the starter pack, and referrals round the world 9/5/17

See? They expect you to have no problems. It’s the highest of compliments. :smile:

6 Likes

…right. Yeah. Cause I mever ness thing sup.

just a tiny bit annoying to read about new veneer finishes and more materials in the starter pack, then go over and open the package to discover that I have an older pack without these new additions.

Pricing what I received shows it to be $136 worth of material, using the new (higher?) pricing for finished veneer. Three sheets of draftboard would get it a bit closer to the $150 starter pack that was promised.

3 Likes

Mine that arrived last week came to $145 of material (but no draftboard), which is close enough for me. I wonder what yours was missing.

1 Like

$14 could just be price adjustments since they shipped it… but it could also be three sheets of draftboard.

Not sure about changes in the price of other materials, but I ordered more sheets of veneer as soon as I got the original shipment. They’re the old, unfinished style and only cost $1 less per sheet than the new, finished ones do now.

1 Like

That has been my experience as well. I’ve ordered over 50 sheets of Draftboard and it comes quickly.

3 Likes

My limited experience is this. The proofgrade materials are nice. They take one more complication out of the equation. Glowforge settings and quality of materials. Plus, they get you materials that may be hard to come by for the casual hobbyist. Thin, high quality veneered plywood, is a good example.
I am ambivalent about the veneers. Too limited of species, cut, etc. to be of much use to me. I don’t want a preadhesive back either but understand the allure. I don’t want a prefinished veneer. But that is because of the type of work I do.

My point is this, there are a lot of things to get worked up about. Proofgrade materials are not one of them. They work, you may or may not choose to use them. They ship quickly so it’s not a big deal about ordering ahead. The catalog of options is very rudimentary at this point, I guess it will quadruple or more over time. There is always a chance of your favorite material being discontinued because you are the only one using it at a rate of 3 pieces per year. That’s life.

5 Likes

Well, I was wrong about my pack value at $136: there was a fifth sheet of maple ply stuck to the acrylic that I failed to count when I tore the package open. Recalculating for that and the unfinished veneer prices puts me at $145. That’s still one sheet of draftboard! Not a huge deal… but it is a thing.

3 Likes

Just throwing in that I would appreciate having proofgrade unfinished veneers available. Unfinished plywood would be nice too.

3 Likes

Technically we should wait until you receive your Glowforge to make sure you don’t cancel before we send your referral payment… but right now we’re not, so enjoy. :slight_smile:

@jbv could you put what you got in your shipment + your tally of value in an email to support? Bear in mind that value is based on the un-discounted price ($150 without the founder discount).

3 Likes

Thanks!

It’s been 6 days and there’s no indication that my Proofgrade has shipped yet. I guess I’m the odd one out. It feels like waiting for my Glowforge again! :laughing:

1 Like

My last order arrived before Glowforge sent me a letter saying it was shipped. It took about 6 days total.
Just for reference.

3 Likes

Happy to swap you… you take my machine when it comes in 1-2 months time and i get yours right now.

You get $14 worth of extra materials if you are willing to wait just a few more months! I get a machine right now!

9 Likes

My apologies

He gets $5
I get a machine now

We both win!

1 Like

Whelp, guess I’ll just fuel up the truck drive on over there.

…I can just take the 5 to Japan and then head south, right?

4 Likes

We are only a few time zones over. Can’t miss us!

5 Likes

It may be worthwhile to print up a bunch of big post-it notes to stick to the spare piece of draftboard that says: “All these Proofgrade are yours to use, except this piece of Draftboard–attempt no cuts here unless Support asks you to print a test to solve a problem” (badly paraphrasing Aurthor Clarke’s 2010 :slightly_smiling_face:)

Probably should word it differently, but the point being that it will make it difficult to miss.

5 Likes

If only there were a device that could engrave the information into the masking material… :slight_smile:

3 Likes