What do you do with your laser scrap?

Every so often I do a funeral pyre with burnable.

I had a huge box of acrylic cutoffs that I had to send to the dumpster. That was sad.

I spent three hours cleaning my garage yesterday. I can’t believe all the stuff I was accumulating for the Glowforge and other projects. It was a purge. But I did find a case of 4x4" white tiles that had forgotten about.

6 Likes

Why does he have to peel the masking off to use it as kindling? It’s just paper, right? (Asking because I just got rid of mine in the gingerbread burnout, but I didn’t peel any of it… should I have?)

2 Likes

I think they are using the masking itself as kindling, not removing it from wood scraps to use those as kindling.

I like the idea of cutting out some shapes to maybe give to art teachers or elementary teachers.

4 Likes

Here’s a similar one. Quadros

3 Likes

there is a lot when you look…

and…

and…

etc…

etc…

and so many more…

6 Likes

I think he’s not sure about the glue used on the masking for burning inside. He also finds it therapeutic!

4 Likes

As do I. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

The kindling is a clever idea, but I already have tons of cardboard boxes for starting the grill with in summertime. (I call it Amazon Kindling.)

3 Likes

The solid wood scraps go into my honeybee smoker.
So in some some sense, our beeswax candles are made
with the helped of the glowforge. I have also used bigger scraps after
taking off the masking in my food smoker.
Plywood scraps are good kindling.

3 Likes

but but - cardboard is what you use to test designs before committing to wood!

3 Likes

During the long wait for delivery, I hoarded cardboard, and think I used it probably 4 times. :roll_eyes:
Having been graced with a pre-release the company was generous with a store credit for materials, and I preferred testing on the actual material I would use, so I recycled probably 50 pounds of that stuff. If it comes to where I need cardboard to test, there is always an ample supply of “Amazon Kindling”.

4 Likes

The problem with corrugated is that it’s almost perfectly designed for starting fires. I’ve used it a few times, but BB is cheap and produces stuff that can be used indefinitely.

2 Likes

The only time I started a …slow burn (it never flared) with cardboard was when I accidentally selected my corriboard setting instead of my cardboard setting. It’s very reliable material, if you’re getting fires you need to do more settings testing.
Once I have my basic pieces settled I’ll do it in wood, but it’s hard to argue with free testing materials!

2 Likes

I use the scraps to cut out miniature dollhouse accessories and furniture. I have a friend who is a mixed media artist. He uses my scraps and turns into landscape art.

4 Likes

Right now it goes in the pile on the floor lol

5 Likes

Im teaching my girlfriend to laser, and shes really getting into it and making a lot of small things. Im hoping she consumes a lot of these leftovers. I cant bring myself to toss them

8 Likes

That there is the story of my life too :rofl:

2 Likes

I make stacks

The plan was to stack, glue, and make sculptures from them…
only done two so far.

15 Likes

I found that since most of the scrap was 90% holes a chopping down made them 10% gaps and 90% useable material and then more was ridiculous to save as I could not think of anything to make and that went to garbage.

1 Like