Things to Make with Scraps

As I’m sure we know have found out by now that a lot of cutting leads to a lot of scrap material laying around. And even though I try to compact my design when I cut, there always seem to be space leftover.

So I was trying to think of things to make with those scraps and came up with keychains. I have a craft show coming up and thought I could get a decent amount of these made from all my left overs.

These are pretty small, but then a keychain shouldn’t be too big anyway.

Also bought these key rings and chain from Aamzon as well for them:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GZD5N4S

Alignment can be tricky with these but what I did was use my cut lines to check that alignment before running on the real cut settings. Running a cut at power of 1 and speed at 500 will allow you to see a faint line (on masking tape of course).

Anyone else have things they’ve have using their scraps?

40 Likes

I made some name tags for gifts that have a slot at each end to lace the ribbon through.

7 Likes

Very kewl! :grinning:

1 Like

Great use of scraps! I’ve got tons of Swiss cheese plywood here to do something similar. I did make some tiny fiddles and guitars for our local fiddlers group but they will never need them all.

7 Likes

I can’t leave any surface untouched and I hate to throw material away no matter how small. I fill everything with whatever little doodad is sitting in my files. My house is covered with little lasered scraps so now I take a few with me to gatherings. Inevitably the GF laser comes up in conversation and I give them away. Now that I’ve been cutting for a bit, I am able to let some small scraps go. It’s still painful though.

19 Likes

Nice… are those acrylics drink stirrers?

Here’s a pile of finished keychains I just completed. My last cut I just added a bunch of things in the spaces where I knew I wouldn’t be able to fit future projects… these little keychains are perfect for that. I also have some bigger ones that I made into magnets.

18 Likes

Those are awesome and would make great little giveaways. Adding a key chain to make them useful is a good idea. I just went and ordered some. :slight_smile:

Yes, those are cocktail stirrers

5 Likes

Buttons
This wasn’t the fanciest design since I was in a time crunch and interested in obtaining functioning pants quickly, but it seemed to be an ok use for scrap material and took less than a minute to design and cut. I’ll proably circle back for more complicated buttons later with scrap pieces.

image|369x500 image

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

25 Likes

That looks great. :grin:

1 Like

Buttons! What a fantastic idea. Never would have thought of that. Is that acrylic?

1 Like

Yes, it is approx. 1/8" acrylic

I too tend to waste a ton of good material simply because I didn’t plan ahead. I now have a file with about 20 designs ready to throw on a glowforge job to prevent the waste. Somehow, I always steer back towards star wars stuff. :wink:

Here is a bunch of crap made on some leftover maple.

6 Likes

If you want this button, I can upload the file. It was adapted from a larger skull someone uploaded early this year.

14 Likes

Yes please

Here’s the tiny skull button. I wish i could remember who originally uploaded the skull to give them credit for it.

SkullButton copy.pdf (91.4 KB)

8 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks. It was late and I was crashing.

1 Like

Hey ya’ll, I know this is an old post, but does anyone know the settings used for these cool skull buttons? I don’t have white acrylic on hand so its hard to compare, but I have tried many other acrylics and even wood but the detail doesn’t seem to come out well on any of them so I’m wondering if it’s a settings thing. Thanks to any help!