Winter issues

So this is my first post in here and I have read most of all of the forums and couldn’t find it. I had a question about winter use with the type of cooling issues. I have a cheap laser cutter 40w from china which I never use during winter in fears that the cold air out side may freeze the water in the lines/crack the laser tube. I just wanted to put my mind at ease that this will be ok to use durning the winter with out any special setup if I just vent out the window only when in use. In my mind as long as its in use it won’t freeze or cause any damage because any kind of liquid will be flowing and won’t freeze but I like to be extra cautious and careful, especially with this high-end of a product. Any info would be awesome. Also I would be using a wooden board that I cut out perfectly for my window the the 4" hole in it for the hose to vent out to block any extra incoming air from outside. So the only air coming in would be from any wind/backdraft into the hose from outside. I would love to use my glow forge all year round in the safest manner.

3 Likes

As a Canadian this is an issue for me. From what I’ve read, it’s not advised that we vent into the cold in case of backdraft. It’s been suggested to use a one way air vent (like is used for dryers) if you’re going to do it anyway. I personally will be using a filter.

2 Likes

Yea, I was wondering if maybe if I attach a legit dryer vent with a flap on the inside that pushed the air out while in use then it will close the moment its done to block the air long enough for me to pull the whole unit I made out of the window. I take the board and vent out of the window each and every time I use and am done with it. Wonder if that would work for 5-15min cuts and wait an hour or so in-between and maybe do another cut later. Just trying to find a way with out the filter to do it safely.

I’m nowhere near an expert on this stuff, but could you boost the airflow out of the vent with a fan? It still seems a little scary.

I thought of that too, I was almost thinking if some type of box with a heater and fan attached vent onside into the box to force air threw and heat threw at the same time back out the other side of the box, out-side threw another hose. That way there should be no temperature change to the glow forge and any back draft would level out or be forced back out. lol. I know it would take up a lot of space doing it that way but whatever would work safest.

You may want to consider putting together your own filter at that point. While it’s not recommended it would be safer for the GF in the long run. My first link has some ideas for that. Just make sure you incorporate activated carbon in the unit.

1 Like

You can get 4" inline fans to keep the air flowing through the duct even when the Forge’s fans aren’t running, so in a cold climate, it might be worth putting one of those in on the house side of the window adapter, maybe even on a dimmer switch, so that you can dial it back between cuts but still keep a small amount of negative pressure on the house side.

2 Likes

you can also use a box setup that is sometimes used in old AC units to control condensation. Essentially it is Device-Hose-Box-Hose-Vented outdoors. This allows the box to work as a buffer for cold or hot air that may cause condensation that may occur in your device. Would also work for cold air back draft.

Found a good link with in that link you posted @JeremyNielsen about the air filters custom made that gave me some Ideas to try that out (thanks for that), also if that doesn’t work I might try what @B_and_D_T said to do for the inline fan idea in that possible box as well. And @elsman18 thats kinda what I was thinking with the box Idea as a buffer so the glow forge stays the same temp while just the box would get the brunt of the temp changes the whole time.

3 Likes

Good to hear that it helped. Please post photos if you do end up making one! I’m curious! :slight_smile: As much as I would love to purchase a filter from GF I can’t justify the cost with the exchange. So, l’m going to be making a filter.

1 Like

If I do make something, I will put pictures up, I will probably make one closer to when they start shipping out.

Yeah, I get that. I’ll look forward to seeing photos!

Just a suggestion, why not just go with the dryer vent initially, and if that turns out not to be sufficient, you will have a Glowforge to help you make the box or whatever else you decide you need? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea lol, could just print off the box then make the extras around it at that time lol.

The Glowforge does not use water as a coolant according to dan. Or at least not straight water. See the “Water Cooling” topic.

So you don’t think this would be an issue at all then?

Can’t say for sure. Haven’t actually seen official words concerning antifreeze or other associated with the cooling system. But it was implied.[quote=“dan, post:9, topic:1466, full:true”]
If you open the hose line, you won’t find water, but you won’t because it’s sealed
[/quote]

I would think it’s possible for thermal shock to occur if for instance your Glowforge was at zero degrees because of an unheated space or vent back flow and you then turned it on. But I’m going to “assume” the fluid has some sort of freezing protection.

1 Like

I don’t know the composition of the glass. I assume it to be pyrex, which has much greater thermal tolerance than glass.
Just an assumption.

I think @dan could answer your concern.

No clue about the glass composition. Might be fine. Still, even the electronics can have thermal issues with sudden changes in temperature. My TV has a safe operating range of 50F to 104F and a storage temp no lower than -4F.

2 Likes

Generally, what is the issue with electronics and temperature?
Connection integrity?