The cold and GF

Hi,
I have a couple of questions. I live in Northern Illinois so it gets quite cold. My Glowforge basic is in a spare bedroom. I have it vented out a window. I live in a brick home, so can’t put in a vent through the wall.

1. How do you insulate a window vent? I have a sliding mechanism to fill the space, but it is thin.
  2. I have a dryer louver on the outside and a blast and an AC infinity backdraft damper on the inside. Are these 3 blocks enough to prevent damage to GF from the window vent or do I need to connect/disconnect with each use during cold weather?
3 Likes

No matter where you live and no matter the season, Glowforge recommends that you disconnect the vent when the machine is not in use.

6 Likes

I didn’t want to lose the view so I cut two pieces of acrylic that overlap - and then put insulating foam over the edges to really make sure everything was insulated. I’m in a slightly warmer area than you, but only slightly :slight_smile:

You can just barely see my blast gate on the left of the photo - but other than having to pass through the fan/pipe that’s my only blockage.

10 Likes

I always keep my blast gate closed at the end of the day. Partly for environmental control, but also to keep bats-cats-n’-rats out.

somthing I forgot to add: I use mobile oil heaters over the winter. One is dedicated to the laser room. Last winter I found the setting that kept things above the minimum temps, and I just leave it there until heaters are turned off and put away for the season.

6 Likes

Ahh the annual cold Glowforge discussions.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 29 days. New replies are no longer allowed.