XY home position

Out of likes so heck yes.

6 Likes

18 Likes

Darn you! I haven’t had a chance to delve into custom settings, though I want to. I need to give feedback on ProofGrade as a feature but will go off-road sometime.

10 Likes

I think it’s cool that you’re willing to make my ruler, but it’s not all that exciting and it’s something I’ve seen done right before my very eyes as well. I’d consider it a low priority if more than 50% of the reason you’re doing it is because I asked. If other people are still interested, or if you’re particularly interested, carry on by all means. :smiley:
I drew a 12" ruler that’s much fancier (but requires fairly fine scoring to work right). I could upload that… tomorrow… after sleep. Sleep is good.

Well, part of it is just testing the import process and reporting on that. I’ve been doing screen captures today and some video work.

2 Likes

I fully share the frustration of @markwkruse and some others.

Simple queries often do not get simple answers from @dan and that is just frustrating. Should this thread be 245 posts long? No.

I really think there should be an area on the forum for technical questions where only GF and perhaps beta testers can respond and the community do not have the ability to reply.

2 Likes

Beta testers aren’t allowed to respond. It’s been covered.

Yeh! Question diluted behind 20 responders so the question will never get answered.

What is this in reference to, the first post? If so that question’s been answered repeatedly.

1 Like

Exactly my point. No-one knows what question was asked. I asked specifically NOT to respond with a bunch of random… yet in creeps comments on paper fires, warnings about pre-production units’ software, pumpkin pies, rulers, and general cheekiness. Asking a well thought out engineering grade question on a technical point of the unit’s operation and getting an answer from a pre-production unit user or dually appointed Glowforge representative is impossible. I laid out my question, step by step, illustrating all of the required points that HAVE to connect to get a consistent, precise, and repeatable result from the machine. Then in the interest of time and getting an answer I further reduced it to 2 questions I wanted answered, and here I am with nothing. I’m with @duality on this one. I would like to start a engineering grade “technical” category where responses are limited to what the machine is actually capable of and what has been agreed to develop in the “short” term approaching units release.

I’m been very appreciative of @marmak3261 willingness to share details of issues he’s seen with this process of aligning the drawing on the screen so far and look forward to his response (only) or @dan if he’s got the time (I know he’s a busy man).

Maybe the customer happiness @Rita has some thoughts on forum possibilities.

(soap box now removed)

EDIT: and pickles from the response directly below mine! Ahhh hah hah ha… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Am I the only one who said “ewww, a hamburger from last summer” before figuring out the pickles were the summer product? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yeah, sucks to have such an engaged forum eh 9_9

1 Like

I’ll try to create a summary of what’s going on here:

• Does the glowforge come with a physical 0,0 corner? No - but you can make one
  • If I make one, will the glowforge be able to reliably return to this exact position every time for repeatable cuts? Supposedly. However, as the homing process uses the lid cam there can be a margin of error in this process.
  • What is the margin of error in homing? Its going to be on a case by case basis and can be effected by things like manufacturing variances in placing the lid cam, hinge wear, crumbs/other things keeping the lid from closing all the way, the camera being hit by things and shifted
  • will we be able to set a cut/engrave to a numeric offset from the 0,0 home position for very exact cuts? No, not as of yet. Supposedly creating an SVG that encompasses 0,0 and the object you want engraved will be a supposed solution for the time being, but we have no real tested outcomes.
14 Likes

good summary :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Excellent summary @takitus.

1 Like

Dittos on the summary.
Questions:

1. Is there a snap to the (0,0) on the electronic interface to register the SVG file. {no snap, no precision} The SVG file when loaded will just be floating in the middle of the screen. You can move it around with your cursor, but it needs to be moved to the location you want to cut from. Just having a 0,0 in the file means nothing.
  2. Is the scale in the electronic interface tied to the laser head zero?
1 Like

I thought I had seen @dan say that if you didn’t do anything in the interface, (0,0) in your svg would correspond to 0,0 as believed by the glowforge. There has to be something like that because otherwise his comment about changing the position in the SVG to change the position on the bed wouldn’t make any sense.

1 Like

@marmak3261 or @dan
Import a SVG file into glowforge interface. Don’t move anything. Hit print screen and upload. Where does the file populate on the screen?

We have already asked and had this answered (sort of)

Maybe if @marmak3261 has a chance he can try it, but I ain’t asking. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Even mechanical/optical/magnetic end stops have some tolerance for error - as can be seen on every 3D printer and kit CNC machine.

It is possible that in a software update, the GF could use the head camera to recognize edges or fiduciary marks on material or on the bed (ie: a corner jig) and do more precise alignment that way.

I suspect this is not on their plate for the first release though, because only a small percentage of users will need that much precision. But, being a software developer, I already have a block diagram in my head of how to write and test the code - and the biggest problem is going to be creating the UI to control it. Extending that to include cut fiduciary marks (ie: recognize a mark that it already cut when feeding through the slot) wouldn’t be a huge deal. Then you can see about putting 2 or 3 additional marks, and compensate for turned material, too.

4 Likes