Biking in the hills

IMG_3191

I usually bring my doctor some generic present, but I was beginning to run out of ideas. So I asked him about his favorite hobby: bike riding!

Heretofore, I’ve made shadowboxes with a rim around it, but this time I wanted to do it differently. Then I thought of all those lovely veneer samples I had as well that I really should use…

So I ended up combining proofgrade medium maple, walnut and cherry with veneer layers from Sauers.

Then added a stand from @geek2nurse’s free design - the smaller one.

IMG_3192

53 Likes

Oh wow! That is stunning! (Your doctor is going to love it!) :grinning:

6 Likes

Thanks! For some reason he doesn’t want to see me till Nov, so he’s just going to have to wait…

9 Likes

I don’t bring my doctor gifts…maybe I should. Something like this would go over really well. :smile:

4 Likes

He’s going to love it! Great idea and execution.

4 Likes

I used to bring my former (now retired rheumatologist) pork chops from the local Piggery. His wife is vegan and refused to buy or cook meat for him. So he didn’t mind at all me bringing him his pork chop. His staff thought it was hilarious and reminded him to make sure to take out the pork chop from the medicine fridge before going home. My current one is vegetarian so that doesn’t work. I bring his front office staff stuff too and it does seem to help especially in crazy times - they do remember you! But then, I tend to give everyone I see something these last few years - no one seems to escape… :rofl:

12 Likes

You’re a natural born salesman! We try to teach that to our people. :smile:

3 Likes

Hmmm not sure… none of them have bought a Glowforge yet…

2 Likes

Well, they might not have the inclination. It does fix you in their mind though, so that’s half the battle with selling. When they need something, they remember you. (Seriously, pretty rare skill these days.)

2 Likes

My cycling buddy just passed away and something like this would be great at his Life Celebration. :heart: :heart: :heart:

8 Likes

Sorry to hear about your friend’s passing.

2 Likes

Thank You

2 Likes

I just sent you a PM.

4 Likes

Awesome effect…looking forward to seeing more creations such as this!

4 Likes

I see you just joined the forum a few days ago - welcome!

My first shadow box took me weeks if not months to design, but then it got easier…

A nice free design if you’re interested…

And if you want to start yourself…

Soon you’ll be making your own cool stuff and we’d love to see it!

4 Likes

That is a beautiful as well as a thoughtful gift . I am sure he will be proud of it and will think of you every time he sees it. :blush:

4 Likes

Nailed it!
The layering works so well there :star_struck:

I’m not surprised, you have given enough here that we know your heart.
When you touch people with the unexpected giving - they will absolutely remember you. :wink:

Once I mounted an engraving on Cherry ply with a 1/4" standoff on the wall, I decided it stood well enough on its own that I didn’t need a frame. :+1:

4 Likes

I have a friend who would love this! I just ordered some of the veneer myself.

1 Like

Thanks, @jeanneleigh and @davidgal2!

1 Like

You’re too kind, @PrintToLaser!