Fancy Hardwood Butter Knives

These look great.

4 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I bet this will show you how important grain direction is!

One idea to consider would be to glue two 1/16” layers up at like 30 degrees cross grain, then cut your blade blank from your new homebrew plywood. It should make the blade far stronger and resistant to breakage.

Fun detail there is that you can have different woods on front and back, making for a two-tone blade. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

actually, i would suggest 3 1/16 boards. that way you can have the same grain on both outsides and the crossgrain would be the center board. and i don’t think 3/16 is too thick, especially with sanding down to create the sharp edge.

what might make that interesting is if you made the center piece a different color piece of wood. so the blade edge would be a different color, along with the seam at the top.

11 Likes

These are really gorgeous! I love the ‘Scandinavian’ design aesthetic.

6 Likes

There’s no wrong way :slight_smile:

I did 3 contrasting layers of 1/16 to make knife scales and it looked really cool.

8 Likes

I also wonder about sanding it with superglue/CA glue - I did that with my pen and it made it both crazy shiny and really strong.

6 Likes

Yeah acts as a stabilizer, I’d guess. I dunno about food safety with cyanoacrylate…. I’d probably stick to food grade mineral oil.

2 Likes

Fantastic idea!

2 Likes

Love that idea too, along with @evansd2’s. 3 pieces might actually work a tad better, since the edge would be sanded out of a solid piece, instead of sanding along where the boards are glued up for the edge.

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Why stop at 3? You can use raw veneers to make some really interesting plywood :slight_smile:

Something like this:

Wood Veneer Variety Pack 65 Pieces 5" x 8" Domestic Exotic Marquetry Pack Inlay 1/42" Thickness Over 18 Square feet Amazon.com

I used three veneer layers to make a tiny bee, it was the key to making the material bit thin and strong.

And it’s not veneer but if you didn’t see these detail shots of the handle of one of my sword projects it might give you some ideas about contrasting materials:

And this layered box used veneers for the layered effects.

3 Likes

Thank you for the file!

I just had to have one.

Maple blade with wenge handle. The laser didn’t quite make it through the 3/16 wenge so I had to surface sand it down to cut line. It wasn’t too bad. Blade started as around 1/8" hard maple. I use my belt sander to contour and thin down the blade. Finished with my cuttingboard finish/conditioner. Tomorrow
we spread!

16 Likes

This is the one I made. The jag at the end fits the bottom curve of the jar and the other side fits the upper part of the jar. The big hole makes it easier to hang and the hook makes it much easier to open pull top cans. As it is as thick as three layers of PG wood with such a hard and complex grain that I don’t think a coating would even penetrate the surface.

7 Likes

Dude, that looks awesome! Thanks for sharing! I’ll need to throw a link over to here from my video.

1 Like

I absolutely love it, especially for the problem solving it does.

1 Like

Lovely!

3 Likes

No food safe sealant like say shellac or anything?

1 Like

Sunday morning review. Yes, the knife is satisfying and a pleasure to use. Toast with butter and apricot jam.

The butter spread like… well I guess you already know. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

See original post:

2 Likes