Hobbits for the neighborhood: Work in Progress

We have noticed a significant uptick in walkers of all ages in our neighborhood, as you might expect in these days of social isolation, so I cooked up a project to amuse the passers by.

Update: I added a little fence and gate with sign (just for you @pubultrastar).

Update 2 May 1: here’s what it looks like now. The neighbor put in some creeping Jenny in front and I added moss on the side slopes.

The design of this Hobbit house is based on the movie set design for Lord Of The Rings, and most of the parts were cut from acrylic. I thought that might last longer in the dirt. Some of the accent pieces as well as the door were made of Baltic birch, and I made stencils to create the brickwork with texture paste. After gluing everything together, I coated the whole project with 2-part epoxy resin for weather resistance. We inserted it into the hillside next to our driveway just now. The blue particles are grass seed. I’ll update the photo once everything is growing in nicely.

Hillside photo:

Updated: I uploaded the design files and assembly instructions here.

85 Likes

Love this idea!

3 Likes

Adore!

TinyDoorsATL put this guy outside the Center for Puppetry Arts, its super fun to see little kids light up with delight when they spot it.

16 Likes

Wow that is so cool! Big upgrade from the kindness rock hunt they want everyone in my neighborhood to do in lieu of the Easter egg hunt. Of course I want to laser a rock instead of paint one, just haven’t found one I think will work (I’m sure there are lots in the creek but the snakes have emerged, yikes!) This looks like a cool alternative to try and make for it!

6 Likes

This is totally cool! I love the design.

@ElsieH I bought a bag of river rocks from Home Depot that work great. You could score them with rolls of toilet paper and the year, and happy Easter. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Oooooo, I totally forgot we put out some river rocks in one of the beds last spring! It’s on the side of the house I never see, so I completely forgot about it! Great idea, thanks!

4 Likes

Cute…

Reminds me of the elf/fairy tree in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park. I think it’s been removed, but it was a recent addition when we were there for Spring break in 2013, iirc.

9 Likes

Please add a gate and sign that says…

no admittance

15 Likes

Like I said, it’s a work in progress. I plan to add more details. What I was thinking of was a sign in elvish typography that reads “ Dogs, please don’t pee on me.”

11 Likes

Haha, that is very creative.

3 Likes

Ahhh! I love this so much.

3 Likes

I love this idea.

2 Likes

This is sooo fun! Now you need to install a trail cam so you can see people’e reactions!

7 Likes

Great idea! And +1 on the trail cam. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I need a little hill on my property just so that I can copy this idea.

2 Likes

you might want to look at Micro clover seeds instead of grass. Grass will cover your door and have to be cut. Clover is low maintenance and good for your lawn.

5 Likes

This would be fantastic for geocaching.

6 Likes

I love this, it might just inspire me to make some hidden treasures for our neighbourhood! Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Oh my goodness!!! This is sooooo cute!!!

1 Like

That is super cute! I’m a big hobbit fan, so that makes it all the better. A friend of mine is one of the owners of Blue Toucan Studios (shameless plug for a friend) and I love seeing their doors around Rochester NY. http://www.bluetoucanstudios.com/#fairydoors!

Even got a special one made, inspired by a favorite SyFi series. Lives on my desk!

7 Likes