Laser light

Has anyone ever had issues with their lasers right off the bat? I’ve taken mine out for the first time and there gunk all in it, it smells burnt and looks like a piece is missing?

Looks like maybe it wasn’t in straight and got burned. I’d hold off on doing any more with it until Support gets here to tell you next steps!

3 Likes

Yes It has happened. One can replace the lens. Now to figure out how it happened.

Hey @lisamarton93,
Yes, looks like something’s gone screwy with the lens there. I was able to order another one and successfully install it (Lens Fail: Burnt O-Ring; Not Cutting Through Material) and have been trouble free since.
Make sure you check all the parts and clean the lenses with a soft lens cleaner (e.g., the kind you buy to clean camera lenses such as Zeiss wipes).
Probably a good idea to wait for the replacement lens before using the machine again. I didn’t have to wait too long for mine.
Good luck!

1 Like

i suspect the mirror within the head is out of position. This is how mine got cooked. Looked similar.

How do you get a new part??

Best,
Lisa Marton

I dug deeper and discovered this. When we first purchased the machine the top laser was all black. I think we may have gotten a used machine.

Best,
Lisa Marton

Lisa, you need to just unplug the machine and wait to speak to support now. The head has been damaged during testing. They will want to replace it with another machine.

(It does not necessarily mean you got a used machine…all of the machines are tested before they leave the factory. Somebody missed the fact that the laser beam on this one was slightly out of alignment. It must still function even though the beam is misaligned, but you can’t use it that way. Wait to hear from support.) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ahh shoot! We have orders to get out. But, Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah, kaka happens. (Usually at the worst possible moment.) :expressionless:

What part needs to be replaced? For the inside of the part?

It’s gonna be the whole head, due to that melting in it, and that has to be calibrated to the specific machine.

Getting the laser beam path correct is a fiddly process (as you can see) but an absolutely necessary one or it isn’t safe. :confused:

How do I get the head?

Best,
Lisa Marton

1 Like

How do I get the head? It’s not on the website

Best,
Lisa Marton

contact support. they will help you sort it out.

1 Like

You can’t buy the head. Glowforge will need to set up a replacement for you. They will contact you once they see this thread and have things set up to proceed.

Awesome. Thank you!

Best,
Lisa Marton

This IS Support.

2 Likes

I answered their question: “how do I get the head?” is that so wrong?

Not at all, @Tom_A is just pointing out that opening a thread here in Problems and Support is contacting support, since it opens a support ticket. Contacting them again via email or whatever would create a duplicate ticket, which they try to discourage since it slows them down.