Lasered Borealis

It’s awesome to see, I saw the Borealis when I was stationed at Minot AFB. It’s one of those events you will never forget

5 Likes

This is truly stunning!

2 Likes

Very cool! It really is hit or miss with colors unless you do a whole lot of masking and jigs, but I am almost always pleasantly surprised by the end result. That one is really beautiful.

7 Likes

Excellent result!
Reminds me of the surprise of grinding a mineral for a jewelry setting (especially opal) where you don’t know the final glory until you polish it.
Many times it turns out even better than you image! :star_struck:

3 Likes

OK…that is amazing!

4 Likes

Beautiful outcome!

3 Likes

@ovm.steve and @shogun, you are both trailblazing in a stunning new direction for lasering.
Congratulations! and thank you for sharing and inspiring us.

3 Likes

Very cool looking. I grew up in an area where we often could see the northern lights. I haven’t seen them in person now in over 40 years.

2 Likes

Great engrave. One of these days I’ll get a chance to see the lights in their full glory. Living at only about 38N latitude it is extraordinarily rare to even catch a glimpse.

Was surprised about 10 years ago with a far less impressive look coming out my front door in MD. Weird thing was that this snapshot is due east, not north. Folks much further south than me could probably see the lights.

11 Likes

You created such a stunning effect!

1 Like

Wow, that’s a cool pic.

2 Likes

The pic is blurry and not that impressive, but the surprise on walking out the front door and looking across my little field was really cool.

1 Like

No doubt.

1 Like

Oh man that is beautiful.

2 Likes

That’s beautiful please explain to me how you did this

Thank you. The process is fairly simple. @shogun got me started thinking when he shared these two posts last fall:

Sunrise Samurai (Experiment in Canvas)

These previous posts give show the steps I took to get to the final results. Take a look at them and give it a try.

If I can be of assistance, just let me know.

2 Likes

Fantastic! Wow, that is so nice!
For those of you who have not yet experienced the aurora borealis, I hope that when you do it’s in a quiet place. One of my best memories is watching the campfire die down on a canoe trip in a national park, gradually becoming aware of a sort of hissing sound, looking up and realizing it was the northern lights dancing across the sky. Then the wolves started howling across the lake…
Yeah… kudos on the evocative artwork!

2 Likes

@Jules I second the favorite!

2 Likes

Oh gosh, what an amazing piece! The subtle variations in the aurora came out perfectly.

1 Like

Wonderful! just love the work you have done and thanks for showing the steps.

1 Like