Sunrise Samurai (Experiment in Canvas)

I was inspired by @ lmiksch’s post about canvas to pick up a 10 pack of 8 by 10 canvas panels from amazon:

I wanted to play around with painting and engraving. This is my first experiment:

I started by spray painting the canvas with red, orange and yellow:

and then I covered the whole thing in black spray paint:

Then all I had to do was find a cool image, invert the colors (greys) and run a very light engrave over the canvas with the glowforge.

The colors are more subtle than I thought, which actually looks great for this. However, @evansd2 had a good suggestion of putting 2 clear coats over the colors before I apply the black. This would preserve more of the color. I will play some more this weekend and maybe post something in “Beyond the Manual” with some settings.

107 Likes

What an awesome effect!!!

10 Likes

That’s a fantastic idea and a great way to think outside the box. I continue to be amazed by the way people use the GlowForge.

10 Likes

That is fantastic. I never thought it would give such a good result. I look forward to seeing your next experiment.

11 Likes

Did you have to wipe it down to remove any residue from the black paint?

7 Likes

The grass in the foreground is killer! You definitely picked the right image to experiment such a cool process with. I like the dulled colors, matches the theme I think with the dark overtones.

11 Likes

This turned out amazing! Do you mind sharing what settings you used on the canvas?

5 Likes

I brushed it off with a paint brush but have not done any further cleaning.

3 Likes

I am doing a few more tests and then I will post something in Beyond the Manual. Mentioning settings in any other forum will summon the Dark Guardians of Discord.

16 Likes

Thanks! I’m still new and forgot, lol, and totally get it. lol.

3 Likes

The result is so evocative, well done!

8 Likes

Impressive!

8 Likes

That made me laugh.

That recreation of the art is absolutely amazing! I really love how that turned out. I cannot wait to hear more about your process in “Beyond the Manual”!

7 Likes

This is a great technique. Excellent color use and composition. Just super.

8 Likes

That is absolutely fantastic! (note to self… pick up some canvas)

10 Likes

That is really awesome!!!

8 Likes

Another thing that was on my list to try - I was thinking of doing this on tiles.

That looks very impressive, seeing it done makes me want to try even more.

Nice choice of image too. Final piece looks pretty good even for a first experiment

6 Likes

Holy Sheet (sorry pun :rofl:) that’s freaking awesome.
It’s like the Frank method for tiles. It looks wonderful, I absolutely love this effect.
:heart:

19 Likes

OMG that’s amazing! It’s rare that a new technique comes along in here, it’s such a treat when it does. That image you used is just perfect for this method.

8 Likes

Are the paints translucent at all? What happens if you backlight it?

2 Likes