Mandala

Welcome to our corner of the internet and please share pictures as you are willing :smiley:

Thank you for the welcome! I am still learning how to really utilize this machine and that makes me so glad this forum exists. For example, here is my very first print:

And I was so excited! And thought it was so pretty! But, wait - it isn’t exactly right… Wonder why that happened? Mine didn’t look like all of the other mandalas shared in this thread. And there were a couple of minor flaws. So I pulled it into Illustrator to see if somehow my copy of the file reflected what was printed. It didn’t, so I tried again.

And I got this:

So much better! I am super excited and thrilled with the level of detail that can be achieved with the Glowforge.

I think I must have somehow goofed up the first one in the print app? And it obviously engraved, rather than cut. Just a bit of a learning curve that I need to work through, lol.

Anyway, I am very appreciative to everyone who contributes here. I am learning a lot from the forums and hope that one day, I can be just as helpful to the community.

Have a great day!

11 Likes

You can engrave as well as cut in any closed vector just setting one or the other in the GFUI. the machine can see the vectors but you must decide to cut or engrave closed vectors.

For myself I really like the engrave! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, it is really awesome. I have a wood burning tool that I am going to use to add the 4 missing dots and clean up the one skewed arch. I was thinking it would make a really nice coaster - assuming one really can train the people who share your space to actually use them :wink:

3 Likes

I presume by your choice of name that you would be really good at that job.

1 Like

If you like that pattern, check out these posts for 2 more free designs based on this mandala:

and

3 Likes

Time will tell, I suppose :wink:

Thank you! I appreciate you for taking the time to share those with me. They are also very lovely.

Have a great day!

@Dennis – Calvin Drews, owner of Drifter Studio, sells multiple extensions for Illustrator that assists the user in creating easy and really beautiful Mandalas. I haven’t used Illustrator in a while, but I remember the extensions are very easy to use. Another plus: everything you create is yours to keep whether you sell items or create for fun. Quote by Calvin Drews: “The illustrations you create are yours with exclusive rights for distribution - great for making and selling coloring books, logos, stock images, ect.”

I purchase mine from https://creativemarket.com/everdrifter

4 Likes

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

Mandala

I revisited this and did some cleanup of the paths. I had pulled it into Estlcam for my CNC router and it had all kinds of misplaced shapes and objects and unclosed paths. It should be ok, but since there are so many paths and nodes, there still might be a few unconnected ones.

6 Likes

Thanks @marmak3261. Much cleaner than my original. Here’s your copy with the Mandala outline a different color such that that final cut can be saved until after all the interior detail is cut. :sunglasses:

mandala_clean

5 Likes

I had combined everything and forgot to leave out the perimeter for final cut. Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks @lightner and @marmak3261, I may just print a couple of these to go with the clock and the cardholder I’ve made for people based on this. It’s a very well loved design!

1 Like

That’s so wonderful of you. This is still one of my very favorite designs that I have cut since receiving the Glowforge in the spring. It is so intricate and beautiful. I really want to cut it as a stencil and then spray it in various colors over a canvas. I think that would be so fabulous :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thought his might make a cool trivet but the lines were too thin and it just wouldnt hold up to being tossed in and out of drawers so it made its way to a random thumbtack that was on the wall. Thanks for the design!

7 Likes

5 Likes

IMG_2715

Comes out very nice with a clear acrylic layer on top for use as a coaster.

14 Likes

neat. what glue did you happen to use, if you don’t mind me asking?

I used this no fog glue, and it has no smell either!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWZNQ1M/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_fodxDbYNYK6AJ

3 Likes