Wood and acrylic box

I love the challenge of making boxes…but, prefer making them without finger joints. I wanted to make one for my son and his wife whom we will be visiting in Delaware in May. This is 4” high and 6” square made of PG med. cherry and PG thick black acrylic. Sort of like a box within a box, it’s two layers thick and is pretty hefty.

A few weeks ago I was wanting to make a ‘pretty’ box and for whatever reason, was feeling great lack of ambition. I went to Mark Collier’s Etsey shop (Big Blue Laser Designs) and bought one of his designs. As soon as I did that, I realized that it would not satisfy me to do that and I wrote Mark a note to tell him…and, even though I do admire his designs that I might not even make the one I just bought from him. (Thank you, Mark!) It jump started something in me to just doggone make my own.

I made some mistakes, but contrary to my usual proclivity for pointing them out, I won’t do that…so if anyone sees them, it’s OK.

As usual, with acrylic, it’s difficult to photograph and shows every dust mote and fingerprint. I worked with this box wearing a pair of microfiber gloves which really helped. Last year, when my brother and I were collaborating on an acrylic award I bought the gloves for that very purpose.

One last cool thing……when I was using Weld On to attach the knob onto the top of the lid (which was a real PITA) some got on the surrounding lid itself and marred the finish. While I could have remade the lid, I was hoping to be able to save this one. I remembered someone suggesting toothpaste and I was so delighted that it worked beautifully. My grandson was sitting with me and was amazed, as well. Sensodyne to the rescue!

73 Likes

Wow, this is quite a show piece! They will be thrilled with it.

3 Likes

Wow! That is just gorgeous - so much detail. What a great combination - cherry with black acrylic.

4 Likes

That’s gorgeous
The swirls look so delicate, but from your side shot they’re quite hefty and can probably take a beating :slight_smile:

The inset in the lid is definitely a stand-out!

4 Likes

That’s a beautiful box! Great job. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Whoa! I be those pics aren’t doing it justice either. And they are great.

3 Likes

Beeeeee-you-tee-full! :grinning: :+1:

2 Likes

Beautiful design and execution.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s really gorgeous!

3 Likes

Elegant and a little mysterious… Like the cat I think I own.

6 Likes

Wow! Nice mix of materials and execution. The box is outstanding. I like th eidea of going beyond finger joints or finger joint free. I sometimes think they can stop a project from getting to the next level which you have clearly done here,.

4 Likes

Wait…you have a cat???

7 Likes

An amazing look, I never would have thought of mixing those materials much less having the pierced sides like that. It makes me want to put an LED light inside :grin:

2 Likes

I did put a battery operated ‘candle’ inside and it looked pretty, although because of the pierced sides you could see the actual light source and I prefer a more subtle look.

That is a beautiful box. I love the mix of black acrylic and wood.

3 Likes

Really cool! Shout out to Delaware!!! I miss it there!

3 Likes

This is beautiful! Well done!

2 Likes

Wow. Ever think about how much you’ve (all of us in fact) learned in how little time? :slightly_smiling_face: I love these tools because they let us accelerate the process that takes us from not knowing anything about a craft to where someone can make things like this in only a couple of years. This is just an amazing design & build on so many levels.

In our predecessors’ day that kind of progress could take decades and so not usually a hobby.

5 Likes

See? Yes, Luna is a free spirit and loves the dog more than us humans. Unless she wants something, then she’s all purrs.

2 Likes

I sure do. Every time I pull a design out of my head and into Affinity…then to the Glowforge. The joy has not gone away.

3 Likes