Engrave Shifting and Eclipse Delivery

I named it Zaphod. Is that a unisex name? I want it to grow up and discover its own identity.

Hopefully it doesn’t identify as a killer robot.

17 Likes

Zaphod is definitely an unusual individual. :thinking:

2 Likes

Maybe it will become the Galactic President.

I didnt think much of the “bowing” because it didnt seem to cause me much issue but I just grabbed my trusty straight edge and you’re right, the glass lid is dead flat and the side panels bow slightly. Although I suspect the bowing is simply because it’s a large flat expanse of plastic which is really tough to keep actually flat. The bowing does not change dynamically while the lid is opened and closed.

7 Likes

Yeah. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Are the side panels not glass as well?

1 Like

Thanks for checking. That’s actually really helpful.

1 Like

Well, I be… they sure are. I honestly hadn’t looked that closely but I just tried scratching it with a blade (the less visible edge, not the face muwahaha) and yep, it’s glass too.

I’m still not seeing any flex in the case because of the hinges though.

1 Like

Yes, the two pieces on either side of the lid appear to be glass. As best as I can tell for aesthetic reasons. A metal bevel runs around the top, but the rest of the case is plastic with metal bits here and there.

1 Like
1 Like

Just because I can identify with a ‘lid problem’…I had to send my PRU back because the glass lid actually was separating from the hinge in the left back corner…which caused the lid itself to not close flush with the left side of the opening. I know, a different issue than this, but just gave me pause.

1 Like

Kinda hoping it’s not flaky enough to be Galactic President.

3 Likes

My PRU lid is slightly proud of the center of the side glass top pieces. The lid seems dead flat on mine. Might be some other issue for focus and registration. Hope you get it resolved.

I’ve had very good success with placement of images over scrap pieces of material and using even very small pieces so anything that out of placement is a bit strange.

Do you have some type of test image that you can put over cardboard and give a good benchmark of what’s going on now?

This topic has lots of good discussion of camera alignment and a few good images of what to expect from a few months back.

1 Like

Unfortunately, my shift is deemed within the expected range now, so there’s no fix from Glowforge until the software works better. The shift from almost perfect to this far off happened from one print to another and doesn’t show any signs of getting better which concerns me about making jigs. I’m willing to wait out the permanent fix with software, but if I build a jig today, is it going to be wrong tomorrow? I wish I knew why it happened. Predictable error is much easier to handle.

6 Likes

Dang! Happy birthday anyway!

1 Like

Very strange that it used to be OK but now needs a software update to get back to where it was. Was it a software update the broke it or did something physically change I wonder.

The stated range is within 1/4" but your seems slightly outside that on the picture of the ruler. And the fact that it is off in the centre is very different from it being off in the corners and requiring a better lens de-warp algorithm. Either the camera or the head must be pointing not straight down or the software is adding an incorrect offset.

It is like it has lost its factory calibration somehow. Perhaps the improved software will include a way for the user to re-calibrate it. I don’t see how a problem like this can be fixed otherwise.

2 Likes

Can answer why this is now. I watched more carefully the red laser depth check is not done until you send the print. So the depth is not being read whenever there is material in the bed to populate the field. Probably not as quick a fix now that work flow has to be rerouted.

3 Likes

The red laser also hits the crumb tray instead of material if you’re using small pieces of scrap or materials that happen to have a chunk cut out where the red laser fires.

2 Likes

Yeah this is something they need to just account for with an offset, as theyre placing the laser lens over it instead of distance sensor. It used to just send the head to the center of the bed to get a depth check, now it at least goes to the object. Shouldnt be too hard to add in that little shift per check. Im guessing this will probably show up when they get real-time depth sensing in place.

@Tony just so you have it on your radar

9 Likes

We have a ton of work in the hopper for autofocus improvements! Suggestions are always welcome.

5 Likes