Paper envelopes with custom dimensions

:incoming_envelope:
I made a simple envelope generator to create very specific sizes. You can change the width and height and further customize the flap proportions and corner rounding. I think it’s fairly versatile.

This is the link to the project, and here are some quick instructions for changing dimensions:

• Go to Design and enter the desired width and height of your envelope.
  • Experiment with values of topFlap , sideFlap and bottomFlap to ensure that all the flaps overlap and to get the desired look
  • Then go to Cut and confirm that the unfolded envelope fits inside your Paper Size. Paper size is 8.5" x 11" by default but you can change those dimensions by selecting Paper Size and changing the scale. This reference shape won’t be exported.
  • Finally go to File > Export SVG to download the file

export-2-GF-forum

The first 5 minutes of this video also show how to do it.

For a quicker workflow you could also select the shape in the editor and copy with COMMAND/CTRL - C and paste into the Glowforge Interface, there you need to use the Edit menu and select Paste.

If stumbled upon this post looking for an a quick envelope fix here are a few SVG’s with common sizes.

The #10 envelope (4-1/8 x 9-1/2 inches) is the usual size for business and bills in the US:
10-commercial

The A2 (4-3/8 x 5 3/4 inches) envelope is good for invitations and note cards:
A2

This 8-1/2 x 5-1/5 inches envelope fits an oversized postcard:
Oversized Postcard

There are some really nice threads on the forum about cutting and scoring paper on the Glowforge: this post has a comprehensive list of settings for paper and cardstock. Holding down your material can be accomplished with a DIY method (spray adhesive on wood or cardboard), some people use magnets and some really like the Seklema mat.

I’ve mostly used the spray adhesive on cardboard method and it feels sufficient to me, though I’m growing curious about the Seklema. One nice thing about making my own with spray adhesive is that the stickiness is somewhat controllable, after spraying the surface I can pat it with some fabric until it’s just right.

I hope this is helpful :slight_smile: :envelope_with_arrow:

45 Likes

Note for anyone who doesn’t realize it, this is an update to Cuttle.

And still other people use vacuum trays to hold paper:

Or alter how the air assist works:

8 Likes

That vacuum tray is awesome! You have added another project to my list :grimacing:

2 Likes

Looks fun to use

2 Likes

I was messing around with this yesterday - very cool! You can make a pretty big envelope with the ~11" x ~19" dimensions on the :glowforge: !

4 Likes

Very nice!! I haven’t gotten to mess with Cuttle for a long time!

2 Likes

Super useful. Thanks so much for making this available.

2 Likes

This is awesome! Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Cuttle is getting better and better, it’s worth checking it out again :smiley:

3 Likes

that is really slick.

thanks!

3 Likes

I love how Cuttle keeps making advancements, and enjoy getting the newsletters with new tutorials! I’ve earmarked this one to watch and play with this week, thank you for being rad :heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

Thank you @jamely! So kind of you to say it :smile_cat:.
I think @tobyschachman will be happy to hear (also he deserves much of this praise).

3 Likes

Cool! I’m a big fan of making envelopes for cards and some letters.

1 Like

I know. I did really like it, just need to make the time. It’s a great product!!

2 Likes