Pre Release: Cat Shelf is Live

Today was install day at my wife’s practice for the cat perch and cat steps. I ended up going with a distressed stain in green (it’s supposed to be foliage/cat themed for the tree).

So why distressed? Well because super cheap 1/8" birch ply takes stain like crap. But as someone who views problems as challenges, figured, well heck why not embrace that too? It looks more natural. So I didn’t put prestain on, and didn’t concentrate on really getting a smooth look. And where the spew from the laser condensed, well that just looked even better!

Well today went over later in the afternoon to my Wife’s hospital, where it was somewhat chaotic, but luckily the exam room this was going up in was not in use. First thing I checked was studs; ugh, they are on 8" centers (yes, 8" centers). WTF???

Each shelf and step are attached via 50lb anchors and I put a brass washer between the wood and screw to make it not as damaging (liked the brass look).

Abby the elderly hospital cat on the perch. She doesn’t move fast and doesn’t see to well, but eventually just sat on the perch (no way is she spritely enough to climb up on her own).

Second shelf is limited in height as my wife is very short, and said “I’m not reaching over my head to get a scared cat down

The pattern really looks nice with the tree…

Urgent overnight project

As this is becoming the “Cat room” I noted that the door is a dog with #3 on his body… Well that’s kind of goofy. So a cat 3 needs to be made tonight… But when you have a GF, easy…

And some astute viewers may have noted an extra wall anchor near the lower shelf. Another GF project is going right there. Plus of course, I have to sign the work (well the shelves have my maker-mark, but a sign for real)

68 Likes

I should add I used a pet-safe Whey based gloss finish with very low VOC.

16 Likes

Yea! I absolutely love this…I really need this for my kitties…maybe that will keep them off the cabinets…lol

5 Likes

Great work.

3 Likes

Squeeee on the kitty shelves, and the cute kitty of course!
Those turned out really nicely with the wall art.

(Anybody need a kitten?)

7 Likes

Oh it’s wonderful!!! I love seeing it in use. Would be cool to see it with kittens on every shelf… Thanks for sharing it with us!

7 Likes

Abby was the only conscious cat in the building. Everybody else was waking up from anesthesia which seemed to make them poor candidates for high-shelves… :grin:

Maybe tomorrow there will be a kitten or 2…

13 Likes

Nice job! This is fantastic

2 Likes

I don’t need a kitten, but I DO need to make something similar to this for my cats in my apartment.

3 Likes

Looks like a happy cat. I approve! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So very cool!

2 Likes

I need to make this for my Mr Kitty. Awesome job as always.
I’m curious now what your makers mark is.

2 Likes

And we needed a sign to go over one of the leaves on the wall…

30 Likes

Love it!

2 Likes

Is it the wood grain playing with my vision or is the made on a Glowforge crooked …:scream:

3 Likes

It’s is weird in the pic, but it’s all one block of text, so it’d better not be…

2 Likes

Was just reviewing this:
Glowforge logo and brand guidelines.

The text does look even too me, possible the photo angle and the grain of the wood, but I do see a possible mistake from the guidelines.

1 Like

Yeah, well it’s not a commercial piece… art being what it is…

5 Likes

Nice comeback. I’m sure that we will see some mistakes on the like. I’m more than a little OCD (don’t ask how that meshes with the mess in my apartment, my special kind of mess is ok with me), and I tend to be quite the stickler for rules and guidelines.

I will note that font for some reason didn’t have an ® in it (kept coming up as a square) so did tm instead.

2 Likes