Fold-out dice box - serrated tab version

There have been some terrific dice box designs given out here in the community forum. I spent some time with @jeffbowman’s amazing design, and wanted to convert it to use a new technique I’ve been working on - serrated tabs (learn about serrated tabs here).

I left his engravings intact but Jeff, let me know if you’d like me to modify them (e.g. the version numbering). I made the tabs wider, and made many of them vary in size so that it’s harder to put the wrong piece in the wrong place.

Jeff’s original thread has the design instructions you’ll need - just tap the pieces together with a rubber mallet (or hammer if you’re gentle).

Thanks for the great design, Jeff - I’m happy to share these changes back with the community!

fold up dice box v3.0.1-dan.zip (25.4 KB)

Note that this is my personal project and is not supported by Glowforge.

70 Likes

I think your serrated tabs link may be duplicated. It resulted in an error page when I clicked it.

edit: also, thanks for this, I’m going to go cut it now.

Thanks, fixed. Let me know how it goes!

I get:

Opens fine for me in Affinity Designer…

Same (using current version of Illustrator CC).

Here is an export from Affinity Designer… does that work better?

14 Likes

Indeed. Thanks!

Thank you @dan! What a neat iteration. I’d been meaning to figure out a better way to optimize for press-fit, and this looks like a perfect application of that idea! I’ll definitely have to incorporate this into future designs and versions.

The version number and URL are fine–they’re mostly for keeping my files and assembly instructions straight, and to offer a long-lived URL so makers can remember where the design came from (in case they need replacement parts or more copies). To that point I’ve linked to this thread from that page, so folks should have no trouble finding this design from there.

Thank you for highlighting my work, and for improving it, too. I’m very happy to see my design evolve and spread. Hope it brings lots of fun to Glowforgers, their friends, and the maker community at large!

EDIT: Very happy to report that I’ve assembled the serrated-tab SVG as given out of draftboard, and it’s as least as strong as the glued version, probably stronger, and quite a bit quicker and easier to assemble. Will definitely have to incorporate that into future designs!

6 Likes

This is awesome. I no longer have to chace dice while playing games with my 3 and 6 year olds.

I just made my copy of this. I did the serrated version using my +1 screwdriver handle of assembly. It’s pretty awesome and the sound it makes when dropping dice through it is great. Thanks for sharing this design.

5 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

When all you have is a screwdriver, everything looks like a nail.

13 Likes

I just tried to make these and I’m guessing there’s a serious QA issue when it comes to medium draft board thickness, since none of the internal holes were big enough for me. External ones were too small too but that only affects how flush it is, not if they fit together.

Is there/was there in the past/ an issue with the thickness of draft boards being larger than advertised? It’s not the end of the world, being fairly inexpensive for a single sheet but I’m scared to make one out of walnut now, since the test fit didn’t go so well

We don’t guarantee the thickness of medium Draftboard, but I’m surprised as it’s pretty consistent. Do you have calipers handy that you could use to tell us how thick it is?

Is it also possible you’re running into:

?

serrated tabs? Nice! That looks like a great idea. Thanks for shareing.

I don’t, but I’ll order some and check when it comes in. I have noticed that the thick draft board is not 2x the thickness of the medium draft board even though I thought they were 1/8 and 1/4.

Its not a big deal with the draft boards, I’m just more concerned about doing it on a nicer wood and it not fitting. I’m mostly curious if others have had the issue, or if this was just an instance of draft board being occasionally thicker with a higher tolerance, making it good for 2d prototyping but not as good for 3d?

Thanks for the reply

Get some calipers. Due to the nature of wood, you will always see varying degrees of swelling from exposure to humidity, manufacturing variances, etc.

The designs can be tweaked for swelling if you know what you have in hand. Otherwise, get some sandpaper and sand down the tabs slightly.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m going to try that, but this is the holes only being 2/3 of the thickness of the wood, that’s a lot to sand down. Thanks for the advice, sorry if my comments came off as anything other than curious about the consistency of tolerances in proof grade materials.