Settings for Cutting/Scoring Corrugated Cardboard

Anybody got any good starter settings for scoring and cutting? (Really don’t feel like doing the whole “OMG! :fire:” thing.)

Much thanks! :grinning:

Okay Final Answer:

After further testing and tweaking:

For corrugated cardboard (specifically ULine 0.15 inches thick. AKA Amazon boxes.)

Cut: New settings: 180 speed/60 power
Score: New Settings: 246 speed /30 power

Your mileage may vary. :wink:

Edit: The speed settings shown in the rest of the posts in this thread are the old scale settings, are much too slow, and might cause a fire if you try to use them as is. They must be converted to the new scale. Be careful or use the settings listed above.`

107 Likes

start with 1% power and 100% speed lol

4 Likes

Chuckle! Might start just a little higher than that - I’ve done some work on paper and that won’t even mark it.

I’m thinking 30/50 might be a nice conservative starting place. (If I don’t come back - try to remember me fondly.) :neutral_face:

12 Likes

lol ya I have no clue, I don’t have a machine. UPS says that the machine and tray are to be delivered tomorrow however the machine still shows in California (where it has been for a week now) but the tray shows in Chelmsford mass. so I will prolly get the tray tomorrow but I don’t have high hopes for the machine showing up

so ya I was just being a tease

4 Likes

The type of cardboard is going to be a factor, i’ve been messing with all the spare boxes I have and it’s amazing how different they all react.

Baseline:

Engrave
3/100 speed

Cut
50/50

Example of these settings, though this was some thicker carboard that engraved nice and dark.

51 Likes

For standard shipping boxes, I’m getting good results with 100/130 for cutting, I’d start around 40/130 for scoring and play from there depending on how deep you want the score.

10 Likes

I’m using 80/50 on Amazon boxes with roughly .100ish thickness for cuts, I’ll try 30/50 for scores.

4 Likes

I’ve been using 80/60 for cutting 0.10" c.c.

2 Likes

Wow! The ranges are all over the place, aren’t they? I wonder if it’s better to go full power and punch through quickly, or use less power at a slower speed?

Might be a good question for dan, but this is the non-monitored section.

Gonna try some higher power settings.

1 Like

My rule of thumb is to use max power & highest speed possible (starting with 100/197). If that’s still too much (paper, cardboard, etc) then I leave speed at max and start to ratchet down power.

5 Likes

BM’d…errrrr BookMarked…:upside_down_face::astonished:

8 Likes

I think slower always gives more chance for burning / charring / melting, so faster is generally better. And if it doesn’t cut deep enough then more passes seems better than slowing down.

The only thing that gets worse with speed is the corner over-burn is more pronounced due to the longer acceleration period.

3 Likes

Wasn’t getting any corner overburn at the lower power and slower speed setting. I’ll give it a try at faster speeds/higher power today before making up the next boxes just to see how it looks.

This thing is pretty darned handy for making up little shipping boxes…so much quicker than the previous method of box cutter and ruler. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

The UPS boys in Cali are giving your box that “Extra” Love before they send it to the Monkeys in Chelmsford. I had a buddy who worked there.

Just kidding Hope it makes it OK.

3 Likes

ya so both are on the truck it says… but the machine via tracking info still never departed cali so weird.

its raining today should be interesting for the driver (I’m on the second floor)

2 Likes

I wouldn’t leave the safety of my precious in the hands of some delivery person who is miffed he has to mule it upstairs. I’d be there at the truck with a smile and two helpful hands!

8 Likes

ROFL! And bells on…I think I scared our delivery gal when I met her at the back of the truck…might have been drooling a little.

8 Likes

Corner overburn is def still a thing at ultra low power, but it seems like they’ve minimized it for everything else.

Paper test from yesterday. If I worked for glowforge i’d switch gears and call this a feature, “insta round corners ™”. We’ll turn all your squares into lovely rounded corner squares no hassle!

10 Likes

I love a good laugh Jules! Thanks for that.

5 Likes

I would agree but… If they broke it shipping and then I help them move it the last 20 they could just o not me must have happened when he insisted on “helping us”

3 Likes