Changing from wood to food

The cling film won’t work or be safe as it would probably just melt onto the food. So if you want to do a quick test run to see if it’s feasible, give a really thorough cleaning of every surface and then cut a few things to see how it goes. I would never give something made from a used machine to other people, but I’ve cut and tried a few things myself. I can tell you they tasted like chemically burnt crap though. You may have better luck with different food though.

5 Likes

Hmm… I’m thinking there must be some sort of protection I could use for the food that wouldn’t let the smell, fumes or dust through… obviously after cleaning that is.

Ok I’m gonna give it a go and get back to post later when I get time. Thanks

The Glowforge pro cost me a good £7.5k but I’ve not been able to do much with it although there’s a lot I can make but not much market that would buy. I can only sell online really but it’s like your searching for a needle in a haystack.

Now I know the Glowforge stinks atm. Let’s see, il try something when I get time

1 Like

Thanks, could I ask what you tried cutting? The only thing coming to my mind is chocolate but I could give you a review of what you tried… If it works for me or not.

What did you try? Did you try chocolate? Did it taste bad because it was used for wood before or because of the laser beam? Isn’t it supposed to be usable with food so why the burnt taste?

Since Averly moved your post:

5 Likes

I cut some gingerbread and it tasted very burnt with an acrid aftertaste that was reminiscent of creosote and cut acrylic. The burned part was from from the heat of the laser having to cut though the ginger bread and I can only assume the acrid taste was from all the previous material I had cut in it. And yes, it’s usable with food and it did an amazing job on my gingerbread house, but the laser is a serious heat source that can scorch things just like any cooking tool. I’m sure most of my issue with the burnt taste was just from having to cut through such thick/tough material though so it wouldn’t necessarily be an issue with other food.

3 Likes

Oh thanks some really good ideas there. Will have to take some good time out to clean the machine up. When I manage to cut something il post it here :+1:

Wow that looks awesome… it’s a shame it was stinking. Need to try covering with something and see if smell reduces

What I learned in all those attempts: laser + carbs = rancid, laser + fat = tasty

5 Likes

The laser burns through materials. No matter what you cover it with, you’re burning the food itself, at least a little. And if you cover it with something, you have to burn through that as well. Whatever that is will get on your food, so that defeats the purpose of covering it.

2 Likes

Lol I hope so il have to try that too. I find it a big hassle and long job cleaning the machine thought. Feeling lazy

Yeah… I guess I don’t want the smell from the machines to get to the food but obviously somehow it will especially once it’s cut through hmm… will have to see. Have you tried foil? Anyone?

It’s not the smell that’s the issue. It’s leftover dust and debris. And that blows around.

The laser is not going to cut through aluminum foil.

If you’re going to do it, clean as best you can, put it on a clean laser-safe surface, and hope for the best. But I wouldn’t serve it to guests or anything.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m thinking of taking the tray out and clean it? Is it possible to wash. I have already once but there’s screws that can be opened. Any advice on that?

I know regardless of cleaning it still won’t be clean enough but il give it a try

I would also take a close look at any stretch wrap or other cover and think “do I want bits of it in my food?” and even more importantly “What does it break down to when heated?” Chlorine, Sulfur, and Cyanide would all be deal breakers

4 Likes

Just put a tray replacement (stack of 1/4" boards or something) with aluminum foil on top and then put your food on that.

No need to mess with the tray.

2 Likes

Oh right ok that’s a good idea… thanks

NP. I’m a “laser food heretic” myself :slight_smile: Considering all the stuff that’s in the air, food stuff (pretty disgusting if you read what the FDA allows in food) and cleanliness (or lack thereof) in restaurant and other kitchens, I’m not too worried about a bit of smoke and wood residue. I don’t mind eating over a campfire even if the fire is laser-induced :slight_smile:

6 Likes